The Department of the History of Art at Michigan is among the leading art history departments in the world. We combine historical depth and cultural range in our research and teaching, and have long-established strengths in Asian and African as well as European and North American art.
We are known for:
- A rigorous undergraduate program combining course work, field trips, and first-hand exposure to original works of art that prepares students for a variety of careers as well as post-graduate education
- A prestigious graduate program that benefits from vital interdisciplinary connections with area studies centers, related disciplines, and museums
- Faculty with a strong commitment to research as well as teaching who are innovators in their fields
- A tradition of collegiality and cultural and methodological breadth
- A strong culture of collaboration with the museum world