- Majors & Minors
- Placement Tests
- Culture and Literature Courses
- Study Abroad and Internships
- Undergraduate Awards
- Honors Program
- Transfer Credit
- Independent Study Policy
- Fall 2022 Course Offerings
- Winter 2023 Course Offerings
Heritage speakers welcome!
Poland’s cultural heritage has a distinctive mix of influences from both Eastern and Western Europe. Engaging in the study of Polish language, literature, and culture provides opportunities to study with exceptional instructors and learn about past and current trends, genres, and people. Here are some highlights from the program:
- poetry by Nobel Prize winners
- contemporary film animation
- rock and punk music
- humor and food
- U-M among only a few American universities to offer four years of language study
Why should you learn Polish at U-M?
Speak with Polish speakers across the world!
Polish is spoken by over 40 million people worldwide, in Poland and in areas of the US, Canada, and Brazil. Polish people are known for their friendliness and sense of humor--why wouldn't you want to speak with them?
You will be eligible for scholarships!
The Slavic department and Copernicus Program in Polish Studies offer scholarships of up to $1,000 to students who study two semesters of Polish language.
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships provide tuition and stipend to students studying designated foreign languages in combination with area studies or international aspects of professional studies. The funding encourages the study of less commonly taught modern languages like Polish.
Polish is music heaven!
From classical (Chopin) to rock (Republika), Polish music is exceptional.
Polish is a gateway to other Slavic languages!
Learning Polish will help you learn Czech, Russian, and other Slavic languages.
- First through fourth year Polish language
- Polish Literature (POLISH 325, 326, 327)
- Polish Film (POLISH 314)
- Rock Poetry (POLISH 214)
- Counter Culture and Street Art (SLAVIC 290)
- Life in Poland (POLISH 215)
- Freshman Seminars (SLAVIC 151)
Please see the course guide for a complete list of Polish courses.
Advantages of Polish:
- A program consisting of culture-based language instruction and complementary literary courses
- Overall class sizes are small and personal, with plenty of individual contact with instructors
- Four years of language instruction
- Major and minor in Polish Studies
- Numerous opportunities and funding for study abroad and continuing language studies
- Internships in Poland