Allison Effron

Allison Effron

General Pediatrician

Bachelor of Science in Brain, Behavior & Cognitive Science, minor in Judaic Studies, 2009

Describe your job responsibilities:

I am a general pediatrician in a suburban practice outside of Cleveland, OH. I treat acute illness and injury as well as provide preventative care for patients from birth until 24 years old. While most of my week is spent seeing patients in the office setting, I also treat patients in the hospital for more serious medical conditions. 

Why is the most rewarding part of your work rewarding?

I enjoy watching children grow up develop unique personalities! It is so fun to see kids that I initially met as newborn infants in the hospital start walking, talking, and telling jokes.

Tell us about studying at the Frankel Center:

My favorite course, about ancient art and architecture, was taught by a visiting Israeli professor. I happened to be spending the following summer in Israel and was able to spend several days at his active archaeology site. I participated in the archaeology dig alongside many Israeli archaeology students. It was such a unique and memorable experience, and very different from my pre-med courses!

How did your education prepare you for your current job?

From a practical standpoint, I regularly use the Hebrew skills I learned during my Judaic Studies education. I take care of a very wide variety of patients, including many from Hebrew speaking families. I enjoy being able to speak Hebrew to these families to help build connection and ease the stress of being in a new environment.

What advice would you give to students who are considering studying Judaic Studies?

Don't hesitate to connect with your professors and fellow students. The smaller class size for many courses is really unique in a large university.