Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$root.page}}

Career Information

All academic programs offered at the U-M help students develop valuable transferable skills. The Frankel Center for Judaic Studies offers students an interdisciplinary approach to the study of Jewish civilization and thought, drawing on the expertise of faculty in multiple related disciplines. As a student of Judaic Studies, you will learn to engage multiple worlds, obtain a broad-based liberal arts education and develop critical and creative thinking skills all while developing an in-depth understanding of Jewish history, religion, language, society and culture. 

Skills and Abilities Gained

Communication

• Writing clearly
  • Public and persuasive speaking
  • Editing / proofreading materials
  • Listening critically
  • Evaluating ideas
  • Reading for context and tone
  • Synthesizing information
  • Explaining complex concepts

Research-Analytical-Project

• Identifying research topics
  • Engage in experiential learning
  • Generating and developing ideas
  • Comparing /contrasting ideas and concepts
  • Crafting hypotheses
  • Critically analyzing results
  • Working with original sources
  • Applying methodologies from many disciplines

Interpersonal and Cross-Cultural

• Developing appreciation for other cultural perspectives
  • Examining the relationship of historical, economic, religious, and political forces
  • Understanding the dynamics of culture in society
  • Working with competing notions and ideas

Language

• Reading for understanding
  • Interpreting complex languages
  • Translating ideas/ language
  • Evaluating translations against original text
  • Perceiving word patterns and structures
  • Communicating cross-culturally

Frequently Asked Questions

What career path can I follow?

Career paths for our alumni include non-profit development, advocacy, law, education, administration, business, marketing, medicine, psychology, clergy, arts and culture, government work and more. 

Past Judaic Studies students have gone on to work at various places such as Tel Aviv University, NYC Commission on Human Rights, the Anti-Defamation League, Vedder Price, Reboot, the Federal Aviation Administration, the Religious Action Center, the University of Michigan, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, Beaumont Hospital, Hillel, PwC, AIPAC, J. Crew Corporate and Camp Young Judea.

Want to be connected with an alum in a certain field? Let our Student Services Coordinator know and we will try to connect you.

What do Judaic Studies alumni do after graduating?

Check out our current and past alumni spotlights. In these features, Judaic Studies alumni share various things such as their current job, job responsibilities, the most rewarding part of their work, how their education prepared them for their current job and advice for students considering studying Judaic Studies. 

Want to be connected with a graduate? Let us know and we will try to connect you!

What do our alumni have to say?

We asked our alumni how their Judaic Studies degree helped them in their career. Here's what some of them had to say.

"My education gave me many tools that I use in my day to day practice as a doctor/neurologist. While seemingly unrelated, a big part of practicing medicine is communication, and even history, and that was gained by my studies at the Frankel Center at U-M."

"I use my critical thinking, analytical and writing skills every day in my job. My time at U-M and at the Frankel Center definitely helped me develop and perfect these skills."

"When I entered rabbinical school... I felt that I had an incredible Jewish education that propelled me forward in my studies and in my career. The overview of Hebrew, Jewish history, and biblical studies that I achieved at the Frankel Center provided me with a foundation for lifelong learning."

"My Judaic Studies and history courses taught me how to take in information from different points of view, analyze and synthesize it and the present my findings. Those are all tasks that I do every day as a reporter."

"I see much of the Talmud as policymaking. Studying with the Frankel Center was the first time I really opened the Talmud alone, sat down, and felt like I was spending time with the historical rabbis over the centuries discussing and reforming the best way for the Jewish people to live both individually and collectively. Examining the rabbis’ debates alongside critically analyzing the texts with my classmates truly sharpened my critical thinking."

"All the classes that I look through the Frankel Center centered on writing and critical thinking. These have probably been the two most consistent and important requirements of my work over the past 20 years."

"My Judaic Studies education was vital in introducing me to the ethical challenges plaguing the medical profession. The standard ethics education that medical schools teach is severely limited given both time constraints and the challenges of unveiling our own inherent biases. Having previously been taught about physicians’ roles during an ethically egregious period in history, I have found great interest in researching multiple perspectives in evaluating complex ethical issues, acknowledging my own susceptibility to falling victim to facilitating injustices, and aiming to be a part of a community of professionals dedicated to confronting modern ethical concerns."

"Psychiatry work consists of connecting with patients. I have found that education about cultures and backgrounds has fostered by ability to connect with others."

"In my job, I am required to think outside of the information in front of me, and to communicate that new perspective to others. Courses through the Frankel Center helped me to find confidence in my ability to communicate new ideas to a larger group of people."