The deadline to apply for admission to the PhD program in Astronomy and Astrophysics is December 15.
What is required for admission to the Michigan Astronomy graduate program?
- A bachelor's degree with a major in physics, astronomy, or a related field.
- GRE General test is required. GRE Physics test scores are not required, and are not considered.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of Purpose, and a Personal Statement.
- Official transcripts are required.
- Students from non-English speaking countries are required to demonstrate proficiency in English (e.g. TOEFL exam). Please see Rackham’s English Proficiency Requirements for more information.
How do I apply?
What support is provided to PhD students?
What are the application fees?
- United States citizens and those with permanent resident visa status, $75
- Non-U.S. citizens, $90
This fee is due at the time of application, is non-refundable and is subject to change.
If the application fee presents an extreme financial hardship, U.S. citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for a fee waiver as outlined on the Rackham website. Both international applicants and other applicants who are not eligible for an above fee waiver, and for whom the application fee presents an extreme financial hardship, may contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for fee waivers must be receved by December 5, 2018 in order to be considered.
How many official copies of my transcript do you need, and where do I send them?
Scanned copies of official transcripts should be uploaded to the online application. In addition, official transcripts from degree-granting institutions should be mailed directly to Rackham Admissions. For more information on transcript requirements and how to submit transcripts, please visit Rackham Graduate School's website. For questions regarding academic records from non-U.S. institutions, please visit the Rackham page on required academic credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions.
Where do my recommenders send their letters of recommendation?
Recommenders must submit their letters online. When an applicant registers their recommenders' names in ApplyWeb, the recommenders are automatically sent an email with a link to enter the recommendation online. Applicants can check the status of their recommendations on the ApplyWeb Activity Page. Please see Rackham's page on letters of recommendation for more information.
What are the GRE and TOEFL codes?
- Institution Code: 1839, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- GRE Department Code: 0801, Astronomy
- TOEFL Department Code: 0061, Astronomy
I won't have my GRE scores until after the aplication deadline. What do I do?
Simply complete the online application by the deadline, and we will add your scores to your file when they arrive.
Where can I find additional resources?
- Rackham Checklist for Completing the Application Process
- Rackham new student information
- Living at Michigan housing site
- Campus Information Center
For questions not addressed here, please email email@example.com or