Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Admissions and Requirements

Start Here

Applicants to the International Visiting Student program are required to meet the same admission criteria as degree-seeking undergraduate students in the College of LSA. You need to be enrolled in an accredited institution and in good academic standing. If the language of instruction at your home institution is not English, you will need to demonstrate the English proficiency necessary to succeed in University of Michigan courses.

Application Deadlines

In order to allow sufficient time for visa processing, you’ll need to apply to the International Visiting Student program months before you plan to attend the University of Michigan’s College of LSA. Please see the following application deadlines for each study term:

Fall term (September–December): apply by February 1

Winter term (January–April): apply by October 1

Spring half-term (May–June): apply by February 1

Summer half-term (July–August): apply by February 1

College of LSA Course Guide

When visiting the LSA Course Guide, please click the drop-down box to view courses for fall, winter, spring, and summer terms. Since future terms are not listed, please review the previous year’s terms to see the types of courses that will likely be offered during your stay.

Please visit U-M’s Undergraduate Admissions website for the non-degree and guest applications.

Partner Universities

If you attend one of the University of Michigan’s partner universities, please click on your university for more information. You do not need to attend one of the listed universities in order to apply to become a International Visiting Student.

Cost of Attendance  

International Visiting Students are considered non-residents for tuition fees. The University of Michigan’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions lists the costs and fees, including tuition, room and board, and books.

Financial Resource Form

Financial aid for undergraduate international students is so severely restricted that before the University of Michigan can issue you a certificate of eligibility for a student visa, we must have assurance of full financial support. Only students who have been admitted and confirmed intent to enroll should complete this form.

Exams and Visas

If English is your second language, you will need to take an exam that assesses English language proficiency for admission consideration. For more information on the exams required and the visa process, please visit the University of Michigan’s Undergraduate Admissions Exams and Visas page.

More Information

The University of Michigan’s Office of the Registrar has more information on important dates, tuition information, and more.