Preview Events are a collaboration between the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA), select departments across the College, and the Rackham Graduate School to provide a funded opportunity to experience the vitality of the campus, meet faculty and potential graduate student peers, attend courses and seminars, and visit research labs to learn about select PhD programs.
Preview Events are open to juniors, seniors, & masters level students who are a US citizen, permanent resident, or a DACA recipient, and are pursuing graduate school. Strong applicants are those who have outstanding academic qualifications, show exceptional potential for scholarly success in a graduate program, and demonstrate promise for contributing to wider academic, professional, or civic communities.
To qualify for this program, applicants must also meet one or more of the following criteria:
- come from an educational, cultural, or geographic background that is underrepresented in graduate study;
- have demonstrated a sustained commitment to diversity in the academic, professional, or civic realm, specifically efforts in the U.S to reduce social, educational, or economic disparities based on race, ethnicity, or gender, or to improve race relations in the U.S.;
- have experienced financial hardship as a result of family economic circumstances; or
- are a first generation U.S. citizen or are the first generation in your family to graduate from a four-year college or university.
Fall Preview Weekend: October 20-22, 2022
This event is a funded opportunity to visit the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor to learn more about the following PhD programs:
Covered costs include roundtrip airfare/train/bus ticket, ground transportation from airport to Ann Arbor, and hotel stay for duration of event. Meals are also provided.
How to apply
The online application opens Monday, June 20, 2022.
Applications are due Friday, September 9, 2022 (12 pm EST).
In addition to completing an online form, applicants must also:
- Complete and upload a Research Information Form
- Upload a current Resume/CV
- Upload Unofficial Transcript(s)
- Note: a reference letter is recommended, but is not required.
Questions about this opportunity or about the online application?
Other LSA Preview Events
The following departments run their own events and are responsible for the administration of applications and event planning. Most of these events take place in the fall semester; dates will vary by participating program. For more information, please visit the sites below: