Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Frequently Asked Questions

The individual graduate programs in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) and the Rackham Graduate School work as a team to manage the application review process.

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions from prospective students looking to apply to a graduate program in the College of LSA.

Admissions & Applying

Q: What is the deadline to apply to a graduate program at U-M Ann Arbor?
A: It depends. It is up to the individual graduate programs in the College of LSA to set their application deadline. However, most program application deadlines are in early December.

Applicants should visit the departmental/program website to learn about application deadlines, and reach out to department contacts with questions. 


Q: What are the minimum requirements for admission to U-M Ann Arbor?
A: The minimum requirements for admission to a Rackham graduate program at U-M Ann Arbor are:

  • Applicants must complete a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association; or complete an international degree that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a college or university recognized and approved by the Ministry of Education or Commission responsible for higher education in the country where the degree is earned. (see the Rackham webpage on Required Academic Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions)
  • Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide an official test score report. Photocopies and/or faxes of English proficiency scores will not be accepted. For more details see Test Scores.

Applicants should visit the graduate program’s website for any additional requirements. Note that some programs may specify additional material (e.g., portfolio, auditions, test scores) which requires preparation.

Applicants can access a list of graduate programs offered in the College of LSA below.

College of LSA | Prospective Graduate Students | Applying

Applicants can also visit the Rackham Graduate School website for more information on admissions.

Rackham Graduate School | Admissions


Q: Can I apply to more than one graduate program at U-M Ann Arbor?
A: Yes. To apply to multiple programs, applicants must submit their first application before starting additional applications. An application fee is due for each application submitted to the Rackham Graduate School.

For questions about submitting multiple applications, please contact the Rackham Admissions Office by email at


Q: I completed my undergraduate degree at a non-U.S. institution. How do I know if my degree meets the requirements for admission to U-M Ann Arbor?
A: The Rackham Graduate School website provides details regarding the minimum requirements for application for those applying from non-U.S. institutions. You can review these by visiting the link provided below. 

Rackham Graduate School | Required credentials from non-US-institutions



Q:  What are additional benefits provided to students with fellowships, GSI, and GSRA positions?
A:  Beyond covering students with health and dental insurance, UM also covers the student’s dependents. For more information, visit the U-M Human Resources website related to GradCare.


Q: Is there funding for conferences or research travel?
A:  Yes, the Rackham Graduate School offers funding for both conference and research travel.  Some departments or programs may also provide additional funding for these as well. Check with the department or program for more information. 

To learn more about funding from Rackham, please visit the link provided below.

Rackham Graduate School | Funding


Life on Campus and in Ann Arbor

Q: Is there housing available for graduate students on-campus?
A: Yes -there are various options available for graduate students to live on-campus at U-M Ann Arbor. Apartments, townhomes, and community residences are available. There are also on-campus housing options available for graduate students with families.

To learn more about on-campus housing, please visit the U-M Housing website below. 

U-M Housing | Graduate Housing