When Sarah Jacob came to the University of Michigan, her plan was to focus her studies on STEM. She took a few Biology courses her first semester but felt like something was missing until she took the International Studies 101 course.

“The first time I sat in International Studies 101, we went over a really broad spectrum of what could be covered in this major and I truly fell in love … This is everything I wanted to come to college for. For once, we were actually talking about underrepresented parts of the world,” Jacob said.

She declared her International Studies major with an International Security, Norms, and Cooperation sub-plan right after the first class and minored in Islamic Studies. Instead of abandoning her passion for STEM, she also majored in Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience.

During her time at the University, Jacob completed a senior thesis for International Studies, was President of Sigma Iota Rho, sat on the UMMA Student Engagement Council, and is a Gates Millennium Scholar. After graduation, Jacob hopes to work in D.C. with a group that focuses on international advocacy and social justice.

Sarah Jacob

BS International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation); BS Biopsychology, Cognition, Neuroscience; minor, Islamic Studies ‘20

Hometown: Cleveland, OH

Affiliations: Clubs: Arise South and Southeast Asian Mentorship, Sigma Iota Rho International Studies Honors Society, Student Advisory Council for the lSA Opportunity HUB, UMMA Student Engagement Council; Jobs: Rec Sports Marketing Team, UMMA Student Assistant, Research Assistant; Other: Learning and Memory Lab RA, Gates Millennium Scholars Program

Future plans: “I hope to be working in D.C. with a group that focuses on international advocacy and social justice.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “There have been many good and meaningful memories over the years. Probably the most impactful is still when I took my first 101 class and realized I had to join the major.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?:

“I am truly thankful for the experiences and memories I made at U of M. Those I was able to make abroad, with my professors, and peers through the PICS department have been particularly unique and impactful.”