While a lot of progress can be made in the classroom, studying a language abroad among native speakers will only improve a student’s language capabilities. As a double major in International Studies and Spanish, Leah Weinstein said her study abroad program in Granada, Spain wouldn’t have been possible without the Program in International and Comparative Studies.

“I received a PICS Study Abroad grant to help with tuition for that semester. Study abroad in general was definitely the best semester of college for me and the ability to make it more affordable through PICS was much appreciated. All of my classes were in Spanish but they were on history and sociology and Spanish language,” Weinstein said.

Putting her language skills to the test, Weinstein participated in the Ann Arbor Language Partnership while at Michigan, teaching Spanish at a local public school. After graduation, she will be working with Meddeas and teaching English in Palma de Mallorca, Spain.

“My semester living in Spain definitely made me want to go back. I want to be able to continue my international education, get better at the language, and get more familiar with the culture,” Weinstein said.

Leah Weinstein

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation), BA in Spanish, minor in Gender and Health ‘20

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Affiliations: Michigan Refugee Assistance Program, Flywheel Women's Club Ultimate Frisbee

Future plans: “Going to Spain to work as an English language teaching assistant.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “I really enjoyed my INTLSTD 401 class with Dr. Uehling and the dynamic discussions we had.”