When studying countries and cultures from around the world, sometimes class concepts can feel very far away. For graduating senior Hannah Katz, the discussions in International Studies classes where she and other students shared their personal experiences with these issues were the most memorable.

“You learn about such diverse issues and in classes it was really cool hearing different people’s perspectives on whatever we were reading or learning … I felt like especially when there’s students in the class who have personal experience with the things we’re learning about or experience from their heritage or study abroad, getting to bring those perspectives to what we were learning brought a lot of depth,” Katz said.

As a double major in International Studies and Political Science, Katz said she combined her interest in the American political realm with her studies of international policy to create a well-rounded education.

“Throughout my college career, I did a lot of political advocacy work and what International Studies brought to that is learning about more than what goes on here in our domestic political system and learning about issues people face abroad … It was a more holistic approach to the policies we hear about every day on TV,” Katz said.

After graduation, Katz will be the Fundraising and Events Coordinator for the Elizabeth Welch for Michigan Supreme Court campaign.

Hannah Katz

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation); BA Political Science ‘20

Hometown: Farmington Hills, MI

Affiliations: College Democrats, Organizing Corps 2020, Organizing Fellow with Sister District

Future plans: “I'm going to be Fundraising and Events Coordinator for Elizabeth Welch for Supreme Court!”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “The great discussions in PICS classes.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?:

“Thank you!!”