Sarah Avery

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health); minor in Intergroup Relations ‘20

Hometown: Beaver Island, MI

Affiliations: SAPAC (Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center), MYLead

Future plans: “Gap year doing environmental work.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Studying abroad in Peru!”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Thanks for pushing me and supporting my growth as an individual.”

Caroline Baloga

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health), BA Environment; minor in Art & Design ‘20

Hometown: Lawrence, KS

Affiliations: Campus Farm, University of Michigan Sustainable Food Program, and PCCN Internal Analysis Team

Future plans: “I will be headed to Charlottesville, VA to start a position as a Sustainability Coordinator for UVA Dining.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Getting the chance to study Spanish abroad and live with a host mom in Buenos Aires!”

Elena Bartlett

BA International Studies (Political Economy and Development); BA Economics ‘20

Hometown: Manhattan Beach, CA

Affiliations: Delta Gamma, Sigma Iota Rho, MUSIC Matters, Out of the Darkness

Future plans: “I will be joining the General Management Development Program at Aetna in June. After I get some work experience, I am considering returning to school to pursue an MBA.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “My fondest memories from the Program in International and Comparative Studies revolve around the social connections that I've made with other PICS majors. I've been able to take classes with my friends as well as form new relationships through organizations like Sigma Iota Rho, the International Studies Honor Society. PICS made it so easy to study abroad as a Junior and still have the opportunity to take courses related to International Studies and my PED subplan specifically. My favorite study abroad memory was when a group of my friends, most of whom were also IS majors, came to visit me in Copenhagen, Denmark for the weekend.”

Jared Bernstein

BA International Studies (Political Economy and Development); minor in Entrepreneurship ‘20

Hometown: Roslyn Heights, NY

Affiliations: Sigma Iota Rho, Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity

Future plans: “I am working in the investments field for AIG after school.”

Fondest memory of his experience in PICS: “Throughout college, my favorite professors have been within the Program in International and Comparative Studies. I have learned a lot from them both inside and outside of class and will continue using their advice to further my career. Although short, my experience in Sigma Iota Rho was valuable and provided me a sense of community.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “I also wanted to express my gratitude to my family for supporting my endeavors and being there for me during this difficult time. Without them, I wouldn't be the person I am today.”

Ronald Scott Boeve

BA International Studies (Political Economy and Development), minor in Spanish ‘20

Hometown: Grand Rapids, MI

Affiliations: Wolverine Support Network, Dance Marathon

Future plans: “Working Sales in Chicago.”

Fondest memory of his experience in PICS: “My INTLSTD 401 class with Mark Dincecco.”

Brandon Bond

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health), BA Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience; minor in Community Action Social Change ‘20

Hometown: Belleville, MI

Affiliations: Residential College, CSP, Sigma Iota Rho (SIR), Alpha Phi Omega (APO), CGIS Peer Advisor, Student Advisory Boards (VP of Student Life, CASC Outreach, OEM)

Future plans: “I will be continuing my education at the University of Michigan as I pursue a dual masters in Public Health and Social Work. I am hoping to combine aspects from both fields to pursue a career in global mental health programming and evaluation work.”

Fondest memory of his experience in PICS: “My overall experience with the Program in International and Comparative Studies was amazing from the advisors to tailoring my courses to my interests to the connections I made in SIR to helping me be the first person in my family to leave the country and travel the world! PICS educated me on the many complex issues of across the world, but also highlighted the beautiful and dedicated cultures and communities that strive to make the world better.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Thank you to everyone that has supported me and helped me get to where I am today. There were a lot of hoops to jump through and hurdles to cross to make it here so I appreciate everyone that continued to believe in me.”

Brielle Bonetti

BA International Studies (Comparative Culture and Identity); BA Film, TV & Media ‘20

Hometown: New Rochelle, NY

Affiliations: Photographer for the Michiganensian Yearbook, Producer for M-agination Films, member of Zeta Tau Alpha Fraternity

Future Plans: “I hope to use my two majors to create films that shed light and exposure on both the problems, but also the victories of our international world.”

Fondest Memory of her experience in PICS: “I greatly enjoyed the study abroad encouragement I received from various professors. My international experiences were the most transformative and fulfilling moments of my college experience.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “I would like to thank my parents for giving me the whole world.”

Zoe Boudart

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health), BA Anthropology, Honors ‘20

Hometown: Cary, IL

Affiliations: “This last year I was the secretary of the International Studies Honor Society, Sigma Iota Rho, and completed an Honors thesis in Anthropology. I also am an intern with Washtenaw County's Office of Community and Economic Development, and a program coordinator for the Global Feminisms Project at the University of Michigan.”

Future plans: “I'll be moving to Washington, D.C. to work with social service organizations before applying to joint PhD programs in Anthropology and Social Work. My top choice is the University of Michigan!”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “My fondest memories with the Program in International and Comparative Studies have been created through the last year working in the Program as the student office assistant and serving Sigma Iota Rho as the secretary. I was able to form close relationships with the amazing staff within the major and larger program, and learn so much from both positions. I loved being able to collaborate on so many projects to put on film screenings, panel discussions, art exhibits, graduation ceremonies, campus events, and so much more. Of course, PICS enabling me to study abroad in Switzerland and supporting my travels to Peru and elsewhere to learn about the world hands-on were also incredible opportunities I am thankful for. I came to the University of Michigan specifically for the Program in International and Comparative Studies, and it exceeded every expectation I could have imagined for my time here.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Thank you for shaping my future in such a profound way.”

Brenna Bromwell

BS International Studies (Global Environment and Health); BS Biology, Health, and Society ‘20

Hometown: Grosse Pointe, MI

Affiliations: LSA Student Government, Delta Delta Delta Sorority, formerly Blueprints For Pangaea (student run non-profit), research at University of Michigan's medical school, volunteering at Mott

Future plans: “I plan on taking a gap year before applying to medical school in order to become a pediatric surgeon. In my gap year I plan on volunteering, traveling, and doing non-profit work.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Studying abroad in Paris, France winter semester of my Junior year and Dr. Dincecco's International Studies 301 class bringing Sofia Smith, Colin Imm, Haya Akbik, and I together :').”

Elliott Simone Brooks

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation); minor in Business ‘20

Hometown: Altadena, CA

Affiliations: Michigan Volleyball, Take Back the Night Ann Arbor

Future plans: “In the process of choosing a law school for next year - most likely will be in the bay area!”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “I really enjoyed my INTLSTD 401 seminar my junior year and the relationships and people I met within it. I've never felt so excited to go into class every day and be in a space with people that truly felt passionate for the subject at hand.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “It really does take a village and I am forever thankful for mine.”

Madelynn Carter

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation); BA Sociology, minor in Business Administration ‘20

Hometown: Holland, MI

Affiliations: The Five North Project, optimize

Future plans: “Working towards going to law school!”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Meeting my classmates!”

Zoie Chang

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation), BA Sociology; minor in Environmental Studies ‘20

Hometown: Taipei, Taiwan

Affiliations: President's Commission on Carbon Neutrality student researcher, PALMA (Proyecto Avance, Latino Mentoring Association), TASA (Taiwanese American Student Organization), Taekwondo club sports.

Future plans: “I hope to be in Washington, D.C., working with a research group that focuses on national/international security, and/or sustainability.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “I enjoyed almost all my PICS classes, but the last three semesters I spent formulating and writing my thesis were undoubtedly the most fun and challenging times of my undergraduate career.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “I am so grateful to my parents for supporting me through college, and I will always treasure the memories I've made during my four years at the University of Michigan.”

Na'kia Channey

BA International Studies (Comparative Culture and Identity), BA Organizational Studies ‘20

Hometown: Battle Creek, MI

Affiliations: Co-Managing Editor of Michigan in Color with the Michigan Daily, Ross Leaders Academy, +Lab Fellow at the Center for Positive Organizations in Ross

Future plans: “I will be moving to California to begin my dream job at Google doing business strategy. While I’m there, a personal goal of mine is to mentor students, especially first-generation college students like myself, to help them manifest even their most outrageous aspirations.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Oh my goodness, where to begin! My fondest memory is volunteering in Mexico with many of my fellow PICS majors my Freshman year summer. There, I learned about deaf advocacy, Mexican sign language, and the personal and institutional changes that one can do to foster more inclusive societies. It was a transformative experience, and I am so thankful to have done it. Additionally, one of my most favorite memories was both working as an International Institute employee and being advised by Folaké Graves and Evan Hoye. The staff in the Program in International and Comparative Studies and International Institute are so incredibly welcoming and fun, and they made me fall even more in love with my major.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?

“While it may be cheesy to say that I couldn’t have done by myself, it is incredibly true. Going to college brought some of the most fun, rewarding, and challenging experiences of my entire life. I am so incredibly blessed and thankful for all of those that I crossed paths with and that believed in me. I will forever be thankful for your support, and I will make sure to carry the spirit of giving that others showed me as I move through the rest of my life. My PICS major is of one step towards a lifelong journey of striving for cultural competency, compassion, humility, and truth-seeking, and I am even now more prepared to take on whatever comes my way.”

Anna Chewter

BA International Studies (Political Economy and Development), BA Economics; minor in French & Francophone ‘20

Hometown: Ann Arbor, MI

Affiliations: “I have been a member of U-M Women's Glee Club since I began freshman year and currently serve on exec board as publicity manager. I just completed the Peace Corps Prep program and am a senior research assistant in the Department of Anthropology. I was also involved in UCO in the past.”

Future plans: “I am very interested in holistic and ethical development, bridging the gap between economics and culture, particularly in East Africa. In the future, I am hoping to find a research position which will allow me to participate in field work. I am still considering Peace Corps in the future, but for now I'm hoping to go to the School of Oriental and African Studies at the University of London (I am a British dual citizen and am excited for the opportunity to live near my family! (: Until the fall, I'll continue to work as a senior research assistant here in the Department of Anthropology.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: I am not sure if there is a specific memory of PICS that stands out, but I have been really grateful for the kindness and enthusiasm of the Program in International and Comparative Studies and the willingness of the advisors and other staff to help me pursue and find my interests. In particular, I am very thankful for Dr. Marcum, who helped me development my thesis proposal over the summer and has continued to advise me ever since. Last winter (a year ago), I studied abroad in Senegal and had an internship at a rural microfinance institution which inspired the thesis I wrote this year. My last day there, the staff had a dress made for me and a little celebration to give me a certificate for completing my internship. This study abroad program counted for a lot of my PICS requirements and my French minor requirements.”

Caroline Clingan

Hometown: Glenview, IL

Affiliations: Volunteer hospital tutor with Opportunities for Educating Children, Volunteer coach with Girls on the Run Southeastern Michigan, Marketing Director for One Love at Michigan

Future plans: “I hope to work at an NGO or urban community health center before applying to medical school in a few years.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “PICS Advising”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Thanks Mom and Dad for your unconditional love and support.”

Elizabeth DiTullio

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation), BA Anthropology, BA Spanish ‘20

Hometown: Middleton, WI

Affiliations: Camp Kesem, Sigma Iota Rho International Studies Honors Society, Beta Alpha Rho pre-law and public service fraternity

Future plans: “Next year I will be working as a Avodah Corps Member with the Immigrant Legal Defense Team at the National Immigrant Justice Center in Chicago, Illinois! After I complete this year-long program, I hope to apply to Anthropology PhD programs to continue working with immigrant rights, but from a different perspective.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Because I majored in both International Studies and Anthropology, one semester I enrolled in an Anthropology class not because I found it interesting, but rather because it counted for both International Studies and Anthropology majors. Despite my disinterest, AnthrCul 458: The Mediation of Religion ultimately became one of my favorite classes. Taking a class so out of my comfort zone and standard interests pushed me to think harder about what I normally take for granted. Even now, several years later, I think about the contents of this class nearly every day. This experience provided me an important life lesson to always push myself beyond my areas of expertise!”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “I would like to thank my family and friends for their constant love and support (and for proof reading ~90% of my college writing).

I would also like to thank the International Studies Advising Team who encouraged me to triple major rather than double major and minor, a decision which ultimately allowed me to easily graduate on time. Without your advice, I likely would have needed an extra semester!

Finally, I would like to thank all of the professors I have had. In a large research institution such as the University of Michigan, I expected many professors to either be present purely for the research opportunities and to put students second, but this was not the case at all. Throughout my college experience, I have felt that every single professor I had truly cared about their students and wanted us to succeed. Thank you, professors, for the work you do and for constantly inspiring me.”

Megan Gargaro

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health); minor in Community Action and Social Change ‘20

Hometown: Bloomfield Hills, MI

Affiliations: Gamma Phi Beta, Project Healthy Schools, MPLS (Michigan Pre-Law Society)

Future plans: “Working in healthcare information analytics in NYC! Planning on attending law school in the future.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Studying abroad and making friends in my group projects (s/o Olivia and Danielle!)”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Big thank you to my mom for inspiring my interest in public health and to both my parents for supporting my desire to travel and further my education through international opportunities!”

Celia Gold

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation) ‘20

Hometown: Newtown, CT

Affiliations: Gifts of Kindness Student Advisory Board, UM Club Weightlifting

Future plans: “I am going to continue pursuing weightlifting competitively while beginning a professional career!”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “My INTLSTD 401 class or my study abroad in Granada, Spain!”

Sarah Hussain

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation), BA Spanish ‘20

Hometown: Glenview, IL

Affiliations: Alpha Gamma Delta, Center for Campus Involvement, Fraternity & Sorority Life, Wolverine Wellness, Michigan Union Ambassador

Future plans: “I will be attending Northwestern University for a Master's in Higher Education!”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “I really enjoyed studying abroad in Cusco, Peru during the summer of 2018 with Professor Howard Tsai and many fellow PICS students.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “I would like to thank my family, friends, colleagues, and professors for the unforgettable impact they have all had on me in my four years at Michigan. I leave this university feeling so grateful and fortunate for all the people with whom I worked, studied, laughed, and made lasting memories.”

Kimberly Ira

BA International Studies (Political Economy and Development) ‘20

Hometown: San Francisco, CA

Affiliations: Research Assistant at the Center for WorkLife Law, Student Assistant at the U-M Office of Public Affairs, Delta Gamma Fraternity

Future plans: “I hope to continue working as a research assistant, and to eventually pursue law school.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “The classes I've taken as part of my International Studies major have been the highlight of my time at Michigan. I have learned so much from the opportunity to pursue my interest in corporate social responsibility through classes in marketing law, sociology, business ethics, and anthropology.”

Reem Khatib

BS International Studies (Global Environment and Health) ‘20

Hometown: Ypsilanti, MI

Affiliations: “From the start of my undergraduate career, it was important for me to find and create spaces for myself and my community. I have been involved with Students Allied for Freedom and Equality, a student organization that advocates for human rights and social justice across the world. As the granddaughter of Palestinian refugees, I am dedicated to giving back to my community and becoming a culturally competent global citizen so that I have the means to do so. I was a founder and Vice President of the first Arab sorority on campus, the Empowered Arab Sisterhood. In the last 3 years, we raised almost twenty thousand dollars towards the education of children living in refugee camps in Lebanon, and held countless events. Whether I was on campaigns to ensure our university’s endowments were invested ethically, building spaces to empower Arab woman, or advocating and raising awareness for Palestinian human rights; I was driven and supported by my community.”

Future plans: “After graduation, I see myself continuing my studies and eventually becoming a practicing physician. I have spent my time here in the Program in International and Comparative Studies accumulating knowledge on the Middle Eastern and North African region and how to approach conflict resolution in a global health context. I hope to use this background in International Studies to do public health work with populations from regions with ongoing conflicts.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “My fondest memories in the Program in International and Comparative Studies were the opportunities to study abroad as a supplement to my studies, and as a chance to apply them in real life scenarios. Studying Public Health and being able to shadow practicing physicians in Cape Town, South Africa was one of the greatest experiences of my life! Understanding and learning approaches to public health crises in a country with a similar history of occupation and conflict was very impactful to my Palestinian heritage, and to the work I hope to do in the future. I was also able to engage in service-based learning in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam the following summer. I am so fond of the memories in PICS working towards becoming a better global citizen.”

“I am so grateful to my parents, family, friends, and the various UMICH departments that have guided me including CMENAS, MSTEM, and AMAS. I truly would not have made it to where I am and grown without them. Forever Go Blue!”

Ayah Kutmah

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation); BA Political Science ‘20

Hometown: Louisville, KY

Affiliations: Michigan Refugee Assistance Program, Michigan Journal of International Affairs, [RE]vive, optiMize, Library Engagement Fellow, Davis Projects for Peace, Michigan Journal of Political Science, Muslim Students Association

Future plans: “I will be serving as a Fulbright ETA in the Palestinian Territories (Jerusalem and/or Hebron).”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Meeting and talking with the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Thank you to my parents, for the sacrifices you've made, to my professors, for the knowledge you've bestowed, and peers, for all the joy and inspiration in between.”

Brooke Lennox

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation), BA Psychology; minor in Russian ‘20

Hometown: Lafayette, CA

Affiliations: Kappa Omega Alpha, LSA Student Government, server at Isalita

Future plans: “I see myself working internationally on topics of international relations and diplomacy. I have focused my studies on nuclear non-proliferation and hope to do something related to that. Hopefully I will learn more languages as well!”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “My fondest memory is the time I was able to have with Dr. Marcum and the PICS Honors cohort. It was so exciting to be surrounded by such passionate people.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Go abroad! There are so many opportunities for research and funding. The Program is so helpful and will help find them for you.”

Lauren Levitt

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation), BA Spanish; minor in Translation Studies ‘20

Hometown: Haddonfield, NJ

Affiliations: Media and Marketing Assistant at the International Institute, tutor for the Athletic Department, translator for the Immigrant Justice Lab, former Vice Chair of Diversity Affairs Committee in LSA Student Government, Involved in Speech Production Lab research group on second-language acquisition

Future plans: “New York City in international sales at the Marcus Evans Group.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Having that large sense of support and community within PICS, and getting to learn from our professors and peers about those from different backgrounds and preparing to tackle the world's greatest issues today.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “THANK YOU! <3”

Hui Xuan Lim

BS International Studies (Political Economy and Development); BS Economics; minor in Statistics ‘20

Hometown: Pontian, Johor, Malaysia

Affiliations: Asia Business Conference (ABC) at Ross, Michigan Malaysian Students' Association (MiMSA)

Future plans: “I will most likely be working at an oil & gas company called Petronas in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Being able to connect with different people from different countries of the world.”

Hayley Lindsey

BS International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation); BS Biology ‘20

Hometown: Fraser, MI

Affiliations: Biomedical Research, Phi Sigma Pi

Future plans: “University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine to pursue a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Learning from professors and alumni about all the amazing paths that International Studies majors can pursue.”

Caylin Luebeck

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health); minor in Community Action and Social Change Minor, minor in Environment ‘20

Hometown: Holly, MI

Affiliations: WTF - intersectional feminist magazine, Students Helping Honduras

Future plans: “I am going to graduate school at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill for an MPH in Health Equity, Social Justice and Human Rights.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “With my degree in PICS I have been able to travel all over the world, from Moshi, Tanzania, Chennai, India, Bangkok, Thailand, Morocco and Granada, Spain. This degree has set me up with a global mindset to make a difference with the local, and I will cherish these memories forever.”

Owen Miller

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health), BA German ‘20

Hometown: Birmingham, MI

Affiliations: Health Sciences Scholar Program, Rec Sports Employee

Future plans: “Working for Americorps in Milwaukee”

Fondest memory of his experience in PICS: “Studying abroad in Frankfurt, Germany”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Thank you for all your support.”

Kayce Mullett

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health) ‘20

Hometown: Marquette, MI

Affiliations: Pre-PA Club, Lions Club

Future plans: “I am moving to Boulder, Colorado to work as an emergency medical technician during my gap year. I will be spending this year giving lots of love to my husky, exploring the mountains, and gaining valuable healthcare experience while I apply to physician’s assistant school!”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “Studying abroad was a really fantastic way to expand my learning across borders and outside of the classroom. But what really exceeded my expectations was returning home from abroad and realizing the lessons I learned overseas could still be applied to topics relevant to my home state of Michigan. PICS has taught me that the world is very large but, amazingly enough, also very small. I am excited and grateful to use my education to make small differences with big impacts in the future.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “I am exceptionally grateful for my supportive parents who made my education possible. The love I received from family and friends throughout college truly made the difference and kept me going through the good times and the tough ones. I would not be the person I am today without those who have loved me along the way. I will always be thankful for those individuals.”

Donovan Lee Orow

BA International Studies (Comparative Culture and Identity); BA Asian Studies ‘20

Hometown: Warren, MI

Affiliations: Language Resource Center Tutor

Future plans: “I will become a student in the University of Michigan Masters in International and Regional Studies program this upcoming fall semester. After obtaining my master's degree, I hope to find a career within the United States foreign service.”

Fondest memory of his experience in PICS: “My fondest memory of my experience in the Program in International and Comparative Studies would have to be studying abroad in China. Since intensively studying Mandarin Chinese in high school, it was a dream of mine to go to China and take Chinese language classes. I was able to do this two summers in a row, and I am forever grateful to PICS for providing me with these amazing opportunities.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “I would like to thank my family, friends, and instructors for all of the support they have given me. Without them, my success would not have been possible.”

Gilberto Orozco

Hometown: I was born in Mexico but raised in Detroit

Affiliations: Help run a non-profit to empower high school students about entrepreneurship; Michigan Community Scholars Program

Future plans: “I am working for Venture for America and will end up in one of 14 U.S. cities. I want to live abroad or go to law school afterwards. I just want to be happy.”

Fondest memory of his experience in PICS: “My semester abroad in Paris. The friends, memories, chances to learn about myself, and connect with other people across the world was unparalleled.”

Abdu Osman

BA International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation); minor in Afroamerican and African Studies ‘20

Hometown: Grand Rapids, MI

Affiliations: “For the last few years I have been active on social media, especially in the realm of Eritrean Diaspora politics.”

Future plans: “In the future, I would like to continue my studies. I also plan to work for NGOs that advocate human rights worldwide.”

Fondest memory of his experience in PICS: “Honestly, I have enjoyed every moment and every class I have taken during my International Studies education, but Dr. Anthony Marcum’s INTLSTD 400 level class was the best among all.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to my parents, professors, advisors, and all those who helped me along the journey.”

Archana Prabhakar

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health), BA Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience ‘20

Hometown: Dallas, TX

Affiliations: South Asia Awareness Network (SAAN), Michigan Journal of International Affairs (MJIA), Safehouse

Future plans: “Law school.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “My independent study research project!”

Megan Rossiter

BS International Studies (International Security, Norms and Cooperation), BA Political Science; minor in Biological Anthropology; Honors ‘20

Hometown: North Muskegon, MI

Affiliations: “I was a regional editor for the Europe team on the Michigan Journal of International Affairs (MJIA) and a copy editor on the University of Michigan Undergraduate Journal of Anthropology (UMUJA). I also worked at the International Institute for 3 years and was in Sigma Iota Rho.”

Future plans: “I hope to work in public health or in foreign policy in New York City or Washington DC.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “I really enjoyed having the chance to study abroad twice, once in Denmark and once in South Africa. I was also very happy to be accepted into the Program in International and Comparative Studies Honors Program and work with Dr. Marcum, Dr. Ragnhild Nordås, and my cohort in writing a thesis on the comfort women issue.”

“I'd like to thank my parents for always providing me with the opportunities that they could, including a University of Michigan education. I'd also like to tell my peers and professors to stay strong during this tough time; we'll get through this!”

Maren Simonte

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health); minor in Gender & Health ‘20

Hometown: Northville, Michigan

Affiliations: Fundraising Lead for Partners in Health Engage, Hospital Elder Life Program volunteering through Michigan Medicine, volunteer at Avalon Housing Youth After School Program, Zeta Tau Alpha

Future plans: “Apply for Masters of Public Health programs.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “After my freshman year, I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa. During my time there, I discovered my passion for public health, and since then, I’ve gotten to explore so many different global health topics through the Program in International and Comparative Studies. Some of my favorite courses were my INTLSTD 401 seminar - Public Health in Conflict and Reconstruction and my upper level writing Medical Anthropology class. PICS has allowed me to acquire such a unique skill set highlighting cultural competency and how to think critically to implement interventions that alleviate health disparities. In addition, through PICS, I was able to study abroad for a semester in Barcelona, Spain in the International Business and Humanities program. This experience really rounded out my educational experiences at the University of Michigan and gave me memories I’ll never forget!”

Zari Smith

BA International Studies (Comparative Culture and Identity), BA Asian Studies (Japanese Studies) ‘20

Hometown: N/A (Military Background)

Affiliations: Center for Japanese Studies Undergraduate Advisory Board, Japanese Language Circle

Future plans: “I will be going to Japan as a Coordinator for International Relations. I hope one day I can be a full-fledged translator!”

Fondest memory of his experience in PICS: “My time abroad in Japan! I was able to spend the winter semester of my junior year abroad in Tokyo, Japan and use Japanese every day. Studying abroad made me even more passionate about my major.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Thank you all for supporting me for the last four years! So many people have always had my back and rooted for me!”

Samantha Steele

BS International Studies (Global Environment and Health), BS Environment; minor in Geology ‘20

Hometown: Kinnelon, NJ

Affiliations: Campus Day, Alpha Delta Pi, Food Gatherers

Future plans: “I will be working for Black and Veatch as an analyst on the management consulting team!”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “I loved taking classes with Howard Tsai because he was always such an entertaining professor.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: “Thanks for all of your help throughout this journey!”

Julia Yee

BA International Studies (Global Environment and Health), BA Spanish ‘20

Hometown: Bloomfield Hills, MI

Affiliations: Pre-Medical Club, Habitat for Humanity, Alternative Spring Breaks

Future plans: “Will be attending the Wayne State University School of Medicine beginning July 2020.”

Fondest memory of her experience in PICS: “My fondest memory of my experience in the Program in International and Comparative Studies was my International Studies 401 class with Howard Tsai. Although I had no prior experience studying archaeology or the ancient world, this class led to my interest in the subject while exposing me to history and information I would not have learned otherwise. The class was distinct in the sense that a large portion of its time was spent outside of the classroom, visiting various museums in Ann Arbor and Detroit. I am so glad it was one of the last classes I took to complete my major as it was a great way to remember the diversity and uniqueness of PICS.”

Cory Zayance

Hometown: Shelby Township, MI

Affiliations: President of the University of Michigan Mock Trial Program

Future plans: “I will be working for a government agency on the East Coast.”

Fondest memory of his experience in PICS: “Hiking in Iceland during my 2019 PICS Arctic Internship Fellowship.”

Is there anything you would like to express to your peers, parents, professors, or others?: Cory wants to thank his family and friends for providing endless support and for their role in shaping his amazing experience at the University of Michigan.