Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Study Abroad

LACS students are encouraged to pursue education abroad experiences in Latin America and the Caribbean. Visit our student funding page for information about grants from LACS and other U-M units to support internships, research projects, and study in the region. 

Internship Opportunities from the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA)

The LSA International Internship Program supports internship placements for undergraduate students in a number of countries.

Language Program in Cusco, Peru

LACS currently holds a reciprocal study-abroad program with Centro Tinku, a major regional studies center in Peru. In addition to benefiting undergraduates, this program provides an additional point of organization for links between Michigan faculty and graduate students, and universities and research institutes in Latin America. For more information regarding the program at Centro Tinku, visit our Summer Quechua page.

Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS)

Since 1992, LACS has collaborated directly with Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) on matters relating to the semester or year long study aboad program in Santiago, Chile, where Michigan students attend classes alongside their Chilean peers at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, the Universidad de Chile, or the Universidad Diego Portales. LACS has also been active since 1999 in advancing two programs in Bahia and Belo Horizonte, Brazil. To search for current program offerings, visit M-Compass.

University of Michigan Travel Policy

Effective 9/1/11, all U-M students traveling abroad for University-related purposes (i.e., participating in study, research, work, or volunteer programs organized or supported by U-M departments/units or for which U-M in-residence credit is granted) are required to 

  1. Register their travel in the U-M Travel Registry and 
  2. Buy U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance. Students may also buy this insurance for personal or leisure travel abroad.

For information about immunizations and other travel-related health matters, see Travel Health Services.