Graduate Program Preview Visit
Explore your future in Chemistry at the University of Michigan
2019 Dates: November 11-13
What is MCORE?
The Michigan Chemistry Opportunities for Research and Education (MCORE) program invites approximately 10 highly qualified prospective students to the University of Michigan Chemistry Department for an all-expense-paid visit to explore the Chemistry graduate program.
Why apply to MCORE?
During the MCORE preview, you will have the opportunity to explore the Michigan Chemistry graduate program. You will not only get to interact with faculty, staff, and current graduate students in an informal setting, you also have an opportunity to explore Ann Arbor and the beautiful UM campus.
Who can participate?
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are recent college graduates or students with junior or senior status who will graduate no later than spring 2021. Preference will be given to students from low-income homes, students who are first-generation college students, or students whose backgrounds are underrepresented in academia. (All applicants must intend to apply for admission to the Michigan Chemistry doctoral program for the 2020-21 or 2021-22 academic year.)
What to expect during the MCORE preview
Through MCORE, you will get a great sense of what it's like to be a Michigan Chemistry graduate student. During your visit, you will have the opportunity to:
- Take tours of the research facilities in the Chemistry Department and across campus
- Meet with the research faculty and current Chemistry graduate students
- Get an overview of the Chemistry graduate program
- Ask questions about how to prepare a competitive graduate school application
Cost to attend
All visit expenses — including travel, lodging, and on-campus meals — will be covered for students selected to participate in MCORE.
Timeline for application and participant selection
Applications are due Friday, September 27, 2019
How To Apply
Please make sure you carefully enter your email address in the application. All correspondence about the MCORE program will be via email.
To complete your MCORE application, you will need:
- Applicant information
- Areas of interest (e.g., analytical, chemical biology, inorganic, materials, organic, physical, etc.)
- List of professors you would like to meet and/or work with
- Contact information for two references
- Three short essays (500-word limit per essay)
Your references will be sent an email when you submit your application asking them to submit a letter of recommendation about you. Please make sure the email address you enter is correct, and let your references know in advance to expect this email.
Three short essays are required of all applicants. You can type your essays in the space provided or paste your previously created essays into the appropriate textbox. The three essay questions are:
- Why are you interested in attending a chemistry graduate program?
- How do you expect participating in the MCORE program will help you achieve your goals?
- Tell us about any previous research experiences you've had.
Electronic transcripts are required of all applicants. If your school does not offer electronic transcripts, please scan a paper copy and save it as a PDF to upload along with your application. You can only upload one PDF file; the file must not exceed 5 MB. For the purpose of this application, unofficial transcripts are sufficient.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org