The Ethnic Studies sub-major allows for students to work within existing Ethnic Studies programs, but also allows for cross-cutting and comparative plans of study. The sub-major will guide students interested primarily in the ethnic studies dimensions of American studies through a fruitful course of study, rewarding them with a mark of their achievement.
Minimum Credits: 28
To have a notation of the Ethnic Studies submajor appear on your transcript, you must successfully complete the following in your American Culture major elective credits in addition to the other American Culture major requirements:
A) One of the following introductory ethnic studies courses:
- AAS 201: Intro to Afro-American Studies
- LATINOAM 213: Intro to Latina/o Studies
- ASIANPAM 214: Intro to Asian/Pacific Islander American Studies
- AMAS 215: Intro to Arab American Studies
- AMAS 216: Intro to American Muslims
- NATIVEAM 217: Intro to Native American Studies
B) four additional approved Ethnic Studies courses in consultation with an advisor.
Ethnic Studies electives may be chosen from any AMAS; ASIANPAM; LATINOAM; NATIVEAM; AMCULT/AAS courses; or approved courses.