2015 Rose Silverman Fellows

Shalini Rao, BA International Studies; BA Economics; minor, Business Administration ‘17
Supporting Kids in Peru (SKIP)

Trujillo, Peru

For nearly three months, I served as an intern at Supporting Kids in Peru (SKIP), an NGO-based organization which serves the community of El Porvenir. SKIP employs educational support and family welfare programs to help children realize they have a right to an education. I conducted a series of basic economics workshops and taught English twice a week to a group of six- through nine-year-olds. I was amazed by the staff’s commitment and passion, and I learned many soft skills needed for NGO work: improvising and troubleshooting.

My experience at SKIP was monumental in my professional and personal growth. I gained valuable practical skills working in a diverse group and having limited resources. On a personal level, this experience changed my perspective on how I understand impoverished communities and solidified my passion for development. Thanks to the Rose Silverman Fellowship, I now hope to build my skills and experience for the future.

Daniel Sack, BA International Studies Honors; minor Biochemistry ‘16
Research on family planning policies with
St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

While in Addis Ababa, I worked in collaboration with St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College to conduct a two-pronged investigation into family planning policy in Ethiopia. In addition to providing the data for my honors thesis, this project taught me how to conduct global health research—specifically, how to conduct research on a sensitive topic in a previously unknown cultural environment. Most importantly, I learned the temperament required and the ability to embrace and find humor in the associated challenges. This exposure will inform me further as I pursue a combined MD/PhD degree with my PhD in public health. I have made connections that allow me to continue my fieldwork in Ethiopia, if desired, and the tools to interact with physicians and public health specialists in other regions. Thank you to Ms. Amy Rose Silverman for making this trip possible. It was an experience that will inform my future education and career trajectory and one that I will certainly remember fondly.

Daniel is pursuing his MD/PhD at Vanderbilt University.