2014 Rose Silverman Fellow

Fatimah Farooq, BA International Studies; BA Middle Eastern and North African Studies ‘15
U-M Center for Human Growth and Development

Accra, Ghana, and Khartoum, Sudan

Fatimah received a grant for her internship/research project in Accra, Ghana, and Khartoum, Sudan, (May-August 2014), with the U-M Center for Human Growth and Development and its Minority Health and Health Disparities International Research Training (MHIRT) Program. The project was in collaboration with the University of Ghana Medical School and Mamoun Humaida University, Khartoum, Sudan. The project sought to examine the clinical differences between adult and pediatric patients with sickle cell disease (SCD) and to compare disease patterns in Ghana with SCD patients in Europe and United States. For the second half of her project, Fatima traveled to Sudan to meet with doctors and researchers specializing in sickle cell disease at the university.  She collected data and presented her findings.

Fatimah said, “As a prospective global health specialist and medical doctor, participating in this program helped me gain more knowledge into conducting responsible research and helped me further define my research interests, which lie primarily in health disparities in chronic diseases among minority groups. I think the experience also helped me to develop effective cross-cultural communication skills. Having an understanding and respect for different cultures and mindsets is an extremely valuable skill to have, especially in the healthcare field. Thank you, Ms. Amy Rose Silverman for helping me be a part of this program which gave me the opportunity to understand the way culture affects people’s attitudes toward receiving care and influences their decision-making process.”

Fatimah was also a Central Campus Martin Luther King Jr. Spirit Day 2015 Awardee.