Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$root.page}}

2019 Longwoods Fellows

Aleah Rogalski, BA Public Policy; minor, International Studies; minor, Environment ‘20
Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations
U.S. Department of State
Washington, DC

Over the summer, I had the opportunity to work for the Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations (CSO) in the U.S. Department of State, a data-driven bureau which monitors, prevents, and responds to conflict that undermines U.S. national security interests. CSO works with the Department’s regional and functional bureaus, the Department of Defense, USAID, and Combatant Commands to address political instability, security sector stabilization, and violent extremism. From my time in Washington, DC, I have solidified my desire to work for the federal government in foreign affairs and national security. My colleagues and professional contacts have helped me find ways to apply to the Department of State and other federal government positions, and I intend on taking the Foreign Service Officer Test soon. Further, I plan on pursuing a graduate degree focused on data analysis and have my sights set on programs across the country which would build my technical and managerial repertoire.

Shannon Shaughnessy, BA Psychology; minor, International Studies ‘20
Enabling Leadership
Mumbai, India

I spent two months in Mumbai, India working for Enabling Leadership, an innovative non-profit that hosts soccer, music, and LEGO program for underprivileged kids across the country. I worked as a Monitoring & Evaluation intern and helped the organization create a scale to measure the effectiveness of their programs. There will never be enough words to thank Dr. William Siegel and Ms. Margaret Swaine for their generous donation and support. It allowed me to live this incredible dream and to learn so much about the world. Their fellowship has helped make me a more confident, self-assured person. After India, I’m more willing to take risks and live my life to the fullest. I’m encouraged to keep traveling and experiencing and living. Thank you so much for giving me that gift. There will never be enough words to express my gratitude. I am so grateful to have received the Longwoods Fellowship. Thank you to Dr. William Siegel and Ms. Margaret Swaine for giving me the opportunity for a transformational internship!

Phoebe Wraith, BA International Studies ‘19 
Fundación Aliados
Ecuador

I spent this past summer in the middle of the Ecuadorian Amazon, something I never thought I would be able to say. Honestly, it was the best summer I’ve ever had. I spent three months completing an internship with Fundación Aliados, a non-profit that supports indigenous community enterprises and implements reforestation projects throughout the northeastern/central portion of the Amazon region in Ecuador. My specific job was to handle the marketing for a new community enterprise titled Ally Guayusa, an entirely Kichwa-community run guayusa tea production and exportation operation. I did not originally start out in this role, as there were no assigned roles merely a list of projects to be taken over which the interns then had to divvy up. This summer taught me that I love marketing, that I’m good at it, and that I should look into pursuing it in the future. It taught me that there are so many different paths to take professionally and that as many different passions as you have, that is how many different careers you can have. It taught me that professionalism looks different to everyone, and just because someone is the CEO does not mean that they can’t be out there having just as much fun as the interns. Ecuador flipped my perspective on what I “should” or “should not” be looking for when I plan a future for myself. I am still unsure about the path that I’m going to take after graduation, but the uncertainty kind of thrills me and I can’t wait to see in which direction life takes me.

Megan Zabik, BA International Studies; BA Spanish ‘20
Vert.Run, Inc.
Lyon, France

With support from the 2019 PICS Summer Internship and Research Fellowship, I was able to travel to Lyon, France this summer to complete an internship. Vert.Run, Inc. is a start-up company based in Lyon, France, co-founded by U-M graduate Kirsten Kortebein. This company designs affordable trail running training plans for athletes all over the world. The production of these plans are in response to the growing interest in the sport of trail running, especially in Europe and Latin America. As a Social Media and Community Engagement Intern, I did a variety of tasks to support the growth of the start-up. Also while in Lyon, I participated in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup Volunteer Program. It was an amazing experience to meet some of the most influential figures of the international soccer community. I worked with fellow team members to receive FIFA officials arriving to Lyon in train stations Part-Dieu and Perrache for the semi-final and final matches in order to coordinate their smooth transitions to organized modes of transport. After this summer experience, I feel more empowered and confident in my ability to start new professional opportunities after graduating from the University of Michigan in May 2020. Through this internship experience with Vert.Run, I was able to polish important skills in social media, marketing, business, and community engagement, skills that are transferable to any career or master’s program that I pursue. After my experience with the Women’s World Cup, I am interested in exploring opportunities in Sports Diplomacy in the private sector with NGOs and businesses, and in the public sector as well with the Department of State. I plan on furthering my understanding of the ways in which athletic inclusion can empower developing communities and underrepresented groups including women and young girls.