The University of Michigan welcomed its first cohort of U.P. Scholars in fall 2020. Each class of students will help build this new community exclusively tailored to their experiences as students from the Upper Peninsula. In addition to receiving substantial financial assistance, they will also receive individualized support to help them thrive in their studies at Michigan.
A Unique Perspective
The University of Michigan strives to support students from every part of the state. Your background and experiences growing up in the Upper Peninsula means you have valuable insights that will help make U-M a better place. Be yourself. Bring what you know. Share your dreams with us, and we will assure your success at Michigan, from admissions through graduation—and beyond.
The U.P. Scholarship
The U.P. Scholarship provides up to $15,000 per year for four years of undergraduate study. In addition to supporting you financially, the U.P. Scholars Program is custom-tailored to help you get the most out of your time at the University of Michigan—and to prepare you for whatever comes next.
The U.P. Scholars Team is looking for students who:
- Are from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
- Demonstrate significant financial need.
- Exemplify leadership and wish to give back to others.
- Show high academic and personal achievement.
- Will most benefit from and wish to contribute to the U.P. Scholars community.
Selections will be made based on admissions information, including essays, recommendations, achievements and financial need. Each student is considered on an individual basis.
The U.P. Scholars Program invests in our students; so we ask that students give a mutual commitment as well. Students are expected to meet the following program requirements each year:
- Meet for an individualized coaching appointment at least once a semester
- Attend at least three U.P. Scholars events each semester
- Complete 20 hours of campus or community engagement each year
- Participate in U.P. Scholars Peer Mentor Program
- Maintain full-time enrollment (at least 12 credit hours in fall and winter terms).
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA.
* If you are unable to complete the form, please email The U.P. Scholars Program at UPScholars@umich.edu.