Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

German Major

Prerequisites: German 232 or the equivalent (Placement Test, AP score, or transfer credits)

Requirements: 30 credits beyond German 232, including German 325 or 326; three 300-level courses; German 425 or 426; three 400-level courses; and at least two additional (300-level or higher) German courses. Students must earn a grade of C- or better in all required courses.  Substitutions are allowed with the approval of the German Advisor.

Honors German: Includes German 491 and 492 among the 30 required credits, maintain a 3.7 or higher GPA in German, and an overall GPA of 3.4 or higher.

Teaching Certificate: By taking a number of courses in German beyond the requirements for the major, students may qualify for teaching certification. The exact requirements for certification are available at the School of Education website. We strongly recommend that students enroll in German 531 (fall). All teaching certificate candidates should consult an undergraduate advisor (

Study Abroad: A minimum of 15 of the required 30 credits must be taken either in residence at Michigan or through a study abroad program affiliated with The University of Michigan (i.e. Academic Year in Freiburg, Tübingen, or winter term in Tübingen).

* We require EITHER German 325 or 326, not both -- but if you take both, they both count toward the major. They may be repeated once if the content differs. 325 is no longer a prerequisite for 326. The 325/326 requirement is waived for study-abroad students, i.e. if you take 232 then spend a term or year in Freiburg or Tübingen, you do not have to take 325 or 326 when you return to Ann Arbor.

Students in the Residential College can take RC 321 in lieu of LSA 325/326. RC 321 can be repeated once for credit provided the content is different.