Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}


Advisors are available to meet with students who are interested in learning more about a major or minor in political science, as well as discuss with current majors and minors their progress, future course elections, and career plans. Students should meet with an advisor to declare a plan in political science. Please click on "Schedule Advising Appointment" below to schedule an appointment.

Advising Appointments:

Students can schedule in-person, virtual, and phone appointments using our online appointment scheduling tool.

If you have scheduling restrictions and nothing available will work with your schedule, feel free to email and let us know when you are available so that we can find a time that works to meet with you.

For general advising questions, such as foreign language proficiency or LSA distribution requirements, students should make an appointment to see a general advisor in the LSA Newnan Advising Office, 1255 Angell Hall.

Political Science Waitlist Policy

  1. Students are strongly encouraged to use the waitlist for any closed Political Science course.
  2. Students should register on the waitlist according to their preferred section AND attend the first class.
  3. Overrides will be issued automatically, in waitlist order (unless a professor asks for a different process in a particular course) up to the first day of class by the department as space becomes available.
  4. Students are notified by e-mail when they have been given permission to take the class; the seat may go to an alternate student on the waitlist if the override is allowed to expire.  Permissions may be only for one day. 
  5. Students should remember that for cross-listed courses, their waitlist position as seen on Wolverine Access is relative to the unit under which they are enrolled. 
  6. Unused overrides may result in the student being removed from the waitlist completely. 
  7. No overrides will be issued automatically after the first day of classes.  
  8. Students (waitlisted or not) must attend the first class and obtain an override from the instructor or GSI.

My LSA Audit Checklist

The My LSA Audit Checklist is an easy-to-read checklist of where you are at with all of your LSA degree requirements, including current elections. This checklist is for advising purposes only, so if you have questions or concerns, follow-up with your general LSA advisor or concentration advisor.

Go to My LSA Audit Checklist

Contesting a Grade

Grade Grievance Procedure
Department of Political Science
February 8, 2012

This document outlines procedures to be followed in cases of grade disputes between students taking undergraduate political science courses and their instructors.

Grading complaints should be referred initially to the faculty member who assigned the grade.  This initial inquiry must take place within the first fifteen University business days of the first full term following the term in which the disputed grade was issued.

Every effort should be made to gain agreement between the student and the faculty member without further intervention. In extraordinary cases, where the issues cannot be resolved in this manner, a student may initiate formal grade grievance procedures.Departmental grievance procedures are intended to result in a recommendation, for or against change, to the appropriate faculty member. A grade given by a faculty member may be changed only by that faculty member. A grade given by a Graduate Student Instructor may be changed by that instructor or by the faculty supervisor of the course.

A student may invoke the departmental grievance procedures within the first five weeks of classes of the first regular full term (Fall or Winter) following the completion of the course, or within five weeks of the issuance of a grade removing an "Incomplete."

In cases where a student wishes to submit a grade complaint to grievance procedures, the following steps are to be followed in sequential order:

  1. The student may petition the Department’s Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) for a hearing before the Undergraduate Affairs Committee (UAC) by sending an email to The student must convey in writing the basis for the complaint, with specific evidence in support of the argument that the grade either was given in error or was unfairly determined.  This formal complaint also should summarize the outcome of the initial inquiry to the course instructor, indicating which aspects are in dispute. Within three weeks of receiving the petition the DUS will inform the student and the UAC whether an appeal will be heard.
  2. If the DUS allows the appeal to be heard, both parties to the dispute will be encouraged to participate. No additional persons will be permitted at the hearing without the advance approval of the hearing committee. If the Undergraduate Affairs Committee assents to the presence of any such persons, it will see to it that same privileges are extended to both sides.
  3. The Undergraduate Affairs Committee will arrive at a recommendation within ten days, suggesting what action (if any) it feels should be taken. Copies of the recommendation will be sent to the student, the instructor who assigned the contested grade, the course supervisor (if the former is a GSI), and the Department Chair.
  4. If the DUS declines to provide a hearing before the UAC, or if the student is dissatisfied with the Subcommittee's decision, any further appeal that the student may wish to pursue should be directed in writing to the departmental Executive Committee within two week of receiving notice of the above decisions.
  5. Per College policy, there is no appeal beyond the Department.
  6. In unusual circumstances, the time limits specified above may be extended by the Department Chair.