CGIS Advisors regularly meet with returning CGIS alumni to ensure our programs align with student needs and to gain insight into the student experience abroad. If you are curious about what it’s like to be a student on the Spanish 230 program in Buenos Aires, Argentina, then you’re in the right place! Continue reading for insight from BHS student Madisyn Travis.

This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity. Photos shared here are from other students in Madisyn's cohort in Buenos Aires.

Madisyn Travis: My name is Madisyn Travis. My pronouns are she/her. My proposed major is Biology, Health and Society, and possibly Spanish. In summer 2023, I participated in Spanish 230 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Juliana Mesa (CGIS Advisor): Why did you choose to study abroad on this program?

MT: Well, I was first really interested in being able to immerse myself in a new culture. Also, my Spanish 101 and 102 teacher was from Argentina, and she talked about how great of an experience it would be, and I was also also interested in learning Spanish, because my family is from Panama and Mexico. I just really wanted to get the practice and be able to speak with my family members fluently and as well as confidently, because that's a really big part of it, too.

JM: Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I would like to learn a little bit more about something that you took away from this experience. Is there a story that you like to share?  

MT: Yes. So from this entire experience, what I've learned is independence. Independence is something that I feel like I didn't have much of before I came to Buenos Aires, just being able to adapt to a new environment and being able to meet the new different types of people. I know sometimes that can be very nerve wrecking and as well as just being open to new experiences, perspectives, and the people that you meet. 

When I got to Argentina, I was really scared because I didn't really know anybody in the program, and I was scared that maybe I wouldn't be accepted because I'm not that outgoing. And so I thought that that would impact me. But my host mom was really welcoming. She always made sure that I was good, and she even helped me with some of my homework sometimes. *laughs* She was really patient with me. Initially going there, I wasn't used to just everything being in Spanish, and of course, it took me some time to adjust. She was just really patient with me, and didn't make me feel like I shouldn't have been there. She was like: “You deserve to be here, and I'm here to help you in any way that you can.” 

I know that if I'm ever again in another situation like going to Argentina and just being in a new environment, that I can do it and that it's gonna benefit me in the long run, being able to easily transition to new environments and different types of people from all walks of life.

Madisyn and Kennedy hold flags capturing two sides of a classic Argentinian tea debate: Mate with or without sugar.

JM: It's really great to hear that you had a wonderful experience with your host family. Sometimes students are hesitant about going on faculty-led programs because the only housing option is living with host families. 

MT: Well, personally for me, I loved the it so much. It was so much better, because the class size is smaller. So it gave room for more of an intimate feeling and getting to interact with your classmates. Even when you're out of the classroom, you're still in the classroom because you're using Spanish every day. And so you're practicing and practicing. And so you become more confident in your Spanish skills rather than just doing Spanish for maybe an hour or two at the University, and then speaking English for the rest of the day. 

You get the opportunity to build a great relationship with your professor because she knows your names--she goes on excursions with you--so you get to know them really well. They get to see a different side of you outside of the classroom, and I feel like that benefits you when you're comfortable with your professor.  

It was just really exciting for me, being able to have that community of individuals who are also as passionate about learning Spanish as you are is just really great.

JM: I'm glad that you had a good connection both your classmates and your professor! Is there anything that we would like to share about your identity that was notable or different from the U.S.?

MT: While I was in Argentina I felt accepted. Most of the time, I didn't really feel any bias towards me. If there was, I never noticed. One thing I can kind of say is that men are just a little bit more forward. Catcalling is just kind of prominent. It didn't happen to me that much. But I know a couple of my peers who are also women faced a little bit of it. Nothing really bad happened to me. I felt pretty accepted there, and comfortable. I adjusted pretty quickly with just being able to walk around by myself. Like, I felt safe there. So I feel like my identity didn't really impact me that much while I was in Argentina.

The Spanish 230 Buenos Aires cohort sits down to share a meal together at a cozy restaurant.

JM: That's great to hear. I'm glad that you felt safe in that aspect, because I know that's always a concern for students. What do you think you'll remember the most about your experience abroad in 20 years?

MT: Something that I think I'll never forget in 20 years, 30 years, or 40 years is just the people that I met. The people that I met are so passionate about learning Spanish. Like, we still talk after the program about what we're doing. And I'm even taking Spanish 277 with some of them. We did so many activities together. The activities that were put together for us really allowed us to connect with each other and build trust, just as a community.

They were really nice and welcoming, and we all got along together really well over the duration of the trip. Those friendships that I made will be ones that I hold close to my heart forever.

JM: It's great to hear that you enjoyed the cultural activities that were organized by our provider on-site. Did you receive any scholarships or funding for the program?

MT: Yes, I did receive funding. I got a grant from financial aid. For any student who's looking to receive funding, just make sure to be on time with turning in your forms and checking up on the emails that your CGIS Advisor sends because they're always so informative. 

I also received the CSP opportunity grant. If you are in the Comprehensive Studies Program, you look out for that. There's a lot of money that doesn't get used because people don't know about the opportunities that are available. But I say, reach out to your CGIS Advisor if you do have a question about it, because they're really helpful and will let you know of the opportunities that are available through CGIS as well as LSA. 

JM: I'm glad that the resources provided by CGIS were helpful. Is there anything else that you like to share about your experience? 

MT: Okay, so starting from the beginning, my experience with my host mom was amazing. I did not share the living space with any other students. I did have a private room upstairs, and I did have my own bathroom. My host mom was always so happy. In the morning, she talked to me about how my morning was, asked if I slept well--she always made sure I was good. I never felt so welcomed into someone's home. She was just really open and enthusiastic to have me and assist me in any way that I needed.

As far as food, I do agree that Argentinian cuisine is kind of meat heavy, but they do have other options for vegetarians. My host mom was pretty good with making a variety. She was very accommodating to my taste--I let her know beforehand what I do like and what I don't like, and she was able to accommodate me basically for everything that I needed.

JM: Being abroad, even if it's just for 6 weeks, can be challenging. Is there anything that you'd like to mention in that regard?

MT: Being away from home. Argentina is so far away. I was really excited because this was my first time being by myself. It's just really hard if you haven't had any experiences where you're by yourself, especially just living in a new space in a city that you don't really know. It takes time to adjust, but with time it gets better. 

I had a hard time realizing that at first. I would call my mom every day. I'm like: Mom, I’m so ready to go home--like, nothing bad even happened--I just felt like I was ripped away from home. But it turned out really amazing. And I'm really glad that I spent my time in Argentina for 6 weeks. It was great. I've never had an experience like it, and I really want to pursue other experiences like it in the future.

JM: Thank you so much for sharing that I know that there's definitely a lot of challenges about being abroad. far from the family. But you were able to realize that it is definitely a very rewarding, wonderful experience that you will remember forever. 

Want to watch the full interview? Check out Juliana's interview with Madisyn Travis on YouTube.

Learn more about our Spanish 230 program in Argentina on M-Compass.