Juliet Ren

Corporate New Business Account Executive at Asana
she/hers

Alumni; Philosophy Track

Education/Degree:

BA Philosophy and Cognition, Class of 2021

Activities as a student:
As a student, I was involved in a lot of business extracurriculars like marketing for Google Developers Student Club and other types of marketing ambassadorships for startups like GIST, Ladder, and Heylo as well as a marketing internship for GIST and then later a sales internship for Deel. 

Since graduating from U-M:
Since graduating from U-M I transitioned into a full-time role at Deel in sales development and am now working at Asana in enterprise development. 

Career and other highlights that you're most passionate about or proud of:
Something I'm particularly passionate about in my role is being able to cultivate relationships with decision makers in influential companies and enticing them to adopt meaningful changes in their organization to improve their efficiency but also build a stronger and cohesive organization overall.

Accolades

• Promoted 4 times during career
  • Co-led an Multicultural ERG at Asana
  • Won a startups scholarship

How has your U-M Cognitive Science degree influenced your career path?
The U-M UCognitive Science degree influenced my career path by enabling me to pursue a career in technology with fundamental skills around understanding how people think, make decisions, and even how software works. Whenever people look at my cognitive science degree and my current role, they're always a little confused. What does Cognitive Science have to do with business or sales? This degree taught me the importance of understanding how the mind works - whether that's through a neuroscientific lens, philosophical, or even economic lens. Having a deeper understanding of the mind helps me learn to communicate better and understand the viewpoints of the people I interact with, especially asking better and thoughtful questions for people (and/or executives) that have been in industry for decades. Another vital lesson is also being able to critically evaluate and understand large bodies of texts and/or scenarios and draw conclusions and communicate those conclusions in simple and result-driven terms. Overall, I'm extremely grateful to have graduated in the Cognitive Science track!

Professional interests:

• Sales
  • Software & Technology
  • Professional Skill Development