The undergraduate minor in Judaic Studies offers students an opportunity to explore the diverse histories, traditions, and cultural expressions of Jews living across the globe. Students use the tools of Jewish textual studies and source analysis to contend with contemporary political and social issues. They gain vital skills in research and writing, critical and creative thinking, and public and persuasive speaking. The minor complements and enriches the primary area of study, offering opportunities for in-depth language studies, experiential learning, study abroad, and personal connections with faculty.
- All courses must be at the 200-level or above with a Judaic listing or be approved by a minor advisor.
Upper Level Credit Requirement:
- At least two courses must be taken at the 300- or 400-level (6 credits).
- 200 level or above language courses in less commonly taught languages (such as Yiddish, Ladino, or Biblical Hebrew) can count toward the 15 credit minor (up to 8 credits) if the student meets LSA's language requirement in another language.
- Advanced Hebrew language courses (300-level and 400-level) may count toward the minor.
- Only one Independent Study course can be used towards the minor.
- A minor in Judaic Studies is not open to students with a major in Judaic Studies or a minor in Yiddish Studies.
- At least 3 of the courses must be taken at the U-M Ann Arbor campus.
The Judaic Studies advisor gives practical assistance navigating the major and minor degree requirements. The advising office is located in the Thayer Building, Suite 2111. U-M students interested in a concentration in Judaic Studies, considering an academic minor, or seeking more information about the program, should meet with an advisor to map out a course of study. Prospective students are welcome to visit the Judaic Studies office.
To arrange a meeting with the undergraduate advisor, please make an appointment using the Advising Appointment System. If you have questions, contact 734-615-6097.
You can contact the Student Service Coordinator / Advisor at email@example.com