Leadership Philosophies, 2024

Each Leadership Certificate (LC) student composes a leadership philosophy as a component of their final capstone project. We believe conveying one's leadership philosophy is essential to communicating who you are and how you approach situations to those around you. These philosophies are informed by their leadership identity, reflected experiences, and relations to others.

2024 Graduates

Dan Altman:
Leadership is a method to guide people towards a common goal. For this matter, a key factor in maintaining a welcoming and warm environment. It is important to note that as much as I am a leader, I am also a student, thus you should be open to feedback that can be used in improving your leadership style. Some values that should be followed as a leader are kindness and loyalty towards your group members (or students depending on the circumstances). Nonetheless, I expect that group members are clear about the goal we have (reason for forming) and about the quality of work aimed for. 

Chris Aseltine:
I believe that a leader should be willing to do anything they would ask of their team. It is important as a leader to evaluate situations and plan outcomes that are best for everyone involved. When it comes to interactions and especially training, I believe it is vital to meet your followers where they are and work with them in their style to get them to where they need to be. I endeavor to create an environment where each team member feels accepted, included, valued, and empowered. I believe the process of leadership is one of constant development of team and self.

Nicole Ver Beek:
My objective as a leader, but more importantly, as a person, is to make myself aware of what those around me need to be their best selves, and to support them in ensuring those needs are met. I invite conversations with peers as opportunities for mutual growth, and approach every experience with an open mind, accepting and reflecting on any circumstance that comes my way. I believe the most significant maturation comes through careful self-reflection, and that a true leader will embrace any opportunity to better themselves. I commit to regular self-reflection in my own practice, knowing that this will inform my leadership practice going forward.

Drue Daley:
Leadership goes beyond the titles one can be awarded into the realm of small, actionable steps and developable tools that can be applied in everyday situations. In every room I enter, I strive to create an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and given their deserved space to learn, contribute, and grow. My motivation in leading is not to prioritize my personal gain but rather to foster the development of both myself and those around me. As I continue to grow as a leader, I am committed to finding the right balance between taking up space and leaving space for others.

Lex Doty:
As a leader, I aim to bring my authentic self to every room I enter and foster environments of diversity, inclusivity, and respect where all backgrounds, experiences, and capabilities will be valued. I will listen to the thoughts and ideas of others, seeking to learn from all sources and understand the needs of those affected by and involved in my work. I intend to consistently address challenges and changes to the best of my ability, utilize reflection and feedback as opportunities to improve and act transparently in all that I do. I vow to take time to recognize the work of others and celebrate successes at all levels. Finally, and most importantly, I will continuously reflect on whether I am serving as a leader I would want to follow.

Aliyah Hirji:
I strive to be a compassionate, communicative, and assertive leader while practicing empathy and inclusion. My leadership philosophy is to create positive impacts in my community and cultivate meaningful relationships with those I work with. I am extremely passionate and dedicated to everything I
work on, as well as prioritize goal-setting and organization. Leadership is a journey of growth and learning, and I am committed to becoming a better leader every day!

Nora Huang:
My leadership philosophy is anchored in the belief that leadership is not about commanding from the top, but about listening, empathizing, and evolving alongside my team. I prioritize honesty, commitment, and respect for others, recognizing that my role is to facilitate, support, and empower those around me. As a leader, I commit to being adaptable and responsive to change, ensuring that our collective efforts are aligned with our shared goals. I expect my followers to be open to feedback and growth, just as they can expect from me a dedication to authentic engagement and continuous personal and professional development.

Lara Janosz:
In such a fast-paced world, curiosity and appreciative inquiry drive my approach to leadership in a variety of different contexts, whether it is in building relationships with others, navigating change, or solving problems. Every situation and individual is unique, which requires a leader who can approach the situation at hand with an open mind, adapt to the context of a situation, and genuinely desires to understand and learn. A leader is not someone who walks into a room claiming to know and understand everything. Rather, I believe a transformative leader is one who seeks to get to know the unknown. They are better equipped with the mindset and eagerness to tackle uncertainty with resilience, more effectively make suggestions and give feedback, and generate a collaborative atmosphere that focuses not on negative problem identification, but on positive idea and solution generation.

Julia Kassab:
Leadership is the authentic and radical belief in oneself to guide others. Leadership is a sacrifice taken on for the sake of others. Leadership cannot be legitimate if it is not sincere and committed to action, feedback, and adaptability.

Liana Lau:
I aspire to be a moral leader that leads with integrity and compassion to foster positive change within the communities around me. I lead by example, building strong systems and fostering growth, in order to generate both short- and long-term impact. Even in uncertain and varied environments, I am committed to making informed decisions, educating myself, and learning from failure to continuously improve my leadership capabilities. I expect those around me to leverage the knowledge of others for a greater purpose and consequently will do my best to provide the space and resources where a culture of collaboration can successfully thrive.

Abby Liang:
Leadership is about inspiring others and empowering each other while achieving collective goals. I believe in using facilitation to guide visioning and conflict resolution, striving to learn from each other. I aim to create an inclusive environment where uncommon ideas and diverse perspectives are appreciated and meetings include casual check-ins to build team relationships. By cultivating a shared vision and a culture of understanding, I aim to drive sustainable growth led by an intrinsically motivated team, creating impact within the organization and the community. Throughout the process, I am committed to reflecting on the ups and downs - all of which are opportunities to grow and learn from.

Shayna Lopatin:
I want to lead with compassion and understanding. It’s important to create an environment where people feel comfortable to share their opinions, their perspectives are understood, and they. I value honesty, kindness, collaboration, and a clear goal and vision for what lies ahead. In my role as a leader, I also want to learn from the people I am working with, everyone has something to add and comes with their unique experiences and identities.

Camelin McKay:
Leadership cannot exist without followership, and I think the most egalitarian leaders can discern when to be a leader, and when to hold space for others’ ideas. In this sense, having the vulnerability to suspend judgment and listen with an open heart to maintain the integrity of both the leader and the follower is crucial. I expect to be held accountable by my followers, and they can expect to have their perspectives heard, even when it means sitting with discomfort. I am committed to reflecting on the experiences of being uncomfortable, as this is the only way to expand the comfort zone.

Akhila Mullapudi:
My leadership philosophy is approaching situations with a sense of empathy, compassion, and humanity. It is understanding your life experiences and how they shape you as well as the people around you. From there, it is important to understand the group dynamics should there be a group and see how you can use your skill set to advance the goals and missions of the situation. My firm belief is to be a leader you would want to follow and learn how to accept the good and bad for the betterment of others and the situation.

Rashmi Nair:
My leadership philosophy is centered around empathy, continuous learning, and social impact. Motivated by a commitment to innovation and addressing global challenges, I prioritize collaboration and empowerment to create an environment that values personal growth and a future-oriented perspective. Grounded in authenticity, I value the richness of diverse experiences and prioritize fostering open, transparent communication. This philosophy serves as a compass in my personal journey, urging me to not only adapt to change but also seek opportunities for continual growth and evolution.

Natasha Norman:
My leadership philosophy centers on fostering a culture of open communication and inclusivity. I prioritize meaningful dialogue and provide a platform for those I lead to be heard and valued, encouraging diverse perspectives. By cultivating an environment where they feel empowered and safe to express themselves authentically, I strive to leverage our collective knowledge and experiences to progress together towards our shared goals.

Bailey Redler:
I value integrity, authenticity, empathy, responsibility, and respect. I will communicate proactively, candidly, and tactfully, and I will achieve results by planning in advance, expecting change, making space for others’ perspectives, intentionally exploring new ideas, and keeping teams organized. I commit to continuous learning, humility, community service, and self-reflection. I will maintain meaningful and genuine relationships with others.

Liv Schaefer:
By developing a culture of trust and intellectual curiosity, the desire to take risks and challenge one another is inherent in every step of the creative process. As a leader, I set boundaries about my time, energy, and resources because I expect others to do the same and owe them guidance. I embrace who I am as a leader just as I embrace the opportunity to expand that definition. I live this philosophy by saying what I mean.

Kripa Srinivasan:
Leadership is prioritizing the needs of the group even when your own needs don’t align. True leaders show compassion, respect, and kindness to their community and focus on fostering honest partnerships and relationships. Leaders value feedback and are always ready and willing to adapt. To be a leader is to persist in the face of challenges and let the group’s vision guide you.

Allison Wei:
I believe that leadership is fundamentally others-centered and involves taking ownership of a situation to improve it (even in a small way) to serve and impact others. I believe that the most effective leadership is through relationship: changing and motivating hearts, not minds (which also makes it the hardest). I believe that everyone is a leader and being a leader isn’t about “arriving” or finding the one perfect way to lead but is a continual process of becoming & leading authentically as you are. To become a good leader, I believe it starts with being curious to the world around you, leading yourself and having compassion on yourself, a willingness to serve and do the unglamorous things (doing what needs to be done even if no one else wants to), and the courage to challenge the status quo (to take a risk or a stand on the issue, even if it means people may dislike you).

Arvin Yaple:
As a leader, I hope to foster resilience by embracing challenges as opportunities for growth, both for myself and my teams that I am a part of. Additionally, open-mindedness is a core of my leadership philosophy, as I recognize the value of learning from others, especially when you would not have been open to that perspective originally. This goes to say collaboration with diverse peers is essential in achieving our goals, and I hope to prioritize creating an environment where everyone's input is valued and encouraged. Together, by committing to learning and growth through these principles, we can create stronger teams and stronger leaders.