A warm welcome to Regina Baucom who joined EEB’s faculty as assistant professor July 1, 2013, following three years as assistant professor in the University of Cincinnati’s Biological Sciences Department.

Prior to that, Baucom was a postdoctoral research associate in Dr. Jeff Bennetzen’s lab in the Genetics Department at the University of Georgia.

“My research broadly revolves around the central question ‘Why and how do some organisms persist and adapt to inhospitable environments?’ she said. “I work on this topic utilizing species from the morning glory genus, Ipomoea purpurea,many of which are agricultural weeds. There are four main projects underway in the lab: the evolutionary genomics of plant defense and plant weediness, the influence of the mating system on the evolution of herbicide resistance, and the role of the plant metagenome on adaptation.”

"I am delighted to welcome Gina to EEB. We look forward to adding her expertise in evolutionary plant genomics and informatics to research and teaching in our department," said EEB Professor and Chair Deborah Goldberg.

Baucom, who was hired as part of U-M's sustainable food systems cluster hire, is currently seeking graduate and undergraduate students and postdoctoral fellows for her lab.

In this article:

Baucom, Regina S.