Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}


Frequently Asked Questions - English Creative Writing Sub-concentration

How do I get into the Creative Writing Sub-concentration?

Students interested in the department's offerings in creative writing should begin with English 223, an introduction to the reading and writing of poetry and prose and to the workshop method of critiquing student writing. Students may then enroll in the intermediate course in the genre of their choice, English 323 (Fiction) or English 324 (Poetry). At the advanced level students may elect (with the instructor's permission) the advanced fiction workshop (English 423) or the advanced poetry workshop (English 424). Admission to the subconcentration in creative writing will occur during winter term and is limited to juniors who have taken or are enrolled in English 323/324 (or 423/424). Acceptance will be based on an evaluation of the writing sample by a committee of three readers. Applications for the Undergraduate Creative Writing Sub-concentration are accepted every February. Please see the application form for exact dates and instructions.

How do I get Honors in Creative Writing?

Students who have at least a 3.5 GPA in the English major may apply for honors in Creative Writing after they have been accepted into the subconcentration. Honors will be awarded, as warranted, based on the student maintaining a 3.5 GPA and earning a grade of A- or better on the thesis.

What is the difference between Honors in Creative Writing and English Honors?

Becoming a member of the English Department's Honors Program means becoming a part of a small, intensely committed group of teachers and students all working toward achieving excellence in the related disciplines of reading, understanding, and writing about texts. Students in the Creative Writing Sub-concentration take creative writing workshops in sequence, and, in their last term, compile a major manuscript of poetry or prose fiction while working closely with the creative writing faculty in a tutorial reserved for sub-concentrators.

What is the difference between College Honors and English Honors?

Students are admitted to the College Honors Program by invitation of the Director of Honors, though inquiries are welcomed from any highly motivated student. Those inquiries should be made to the Honors Program at 1330 Mason Hall, (734) 764-6274. Information about this program can be found at Approximately 10% of incoming first-year students are invited into the program, but continuance is based on academic accomplishment. Students become candidates for honors degrees by being admitted to an Honors major program, such as English Honors.

Students interested in the English Honors Program should apply for admission as soon as possible after the beginning of their sophomore year. Since students generally have not decided to pursue Honors before they have completed at least one of the sophomore prerequisites for the English major (Eng. 298), almost all applicants for admission to Honors come in the winter term of the sophomore year or the fall term of the junior year. Applications are accepted in October and March. The application consists of a cover sheet; a transcript; a 500-word statement of purpose, and a writing sample. Students must also maintain a 3.5 GPA or better in the major and a cumulative GPA of 3.4.