Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$root.page}}

Summer 2021 EBS Online

Application Deadline Extended to May 24, 2021!

English for Business Studies (EBS)

Note: Due to visa delays and social distancing requirements resulting from the continuing COVID-19 crisis, the English Language Institute’s Summer 2021 language programs will be delivered online.

Program Overview

English for Business Studies (EBS) is a dynamic, intensive online English language program designed for students who have been accepted into Michigan’s Ross School of Business or other top-tier MBA programs. In EBS, you will gain confidence using English in interactive small group settings, like team meetings, as well as in more formal situations, like a consulting pitch or public speaking engagement. You will work with Ross faculty on a team project to tackle a real life business problem through the U-M Ross Business + Impact program. You will receive personalized language feedback and support from EBS faculty every step of the way.  Learn about U.S. business school culture and develop a social network so you are prepared to hit the ground running in your MBA program and beyond!

• EBS is highly-interactive, with numerous opportunities for real-time language practice via Zoom. 
  • All course materials and activities are structured with a global audience in mind so that you can participate from any time zone anywhere in the world.

Program Benefits  

• Improve your confidence and clarity communicating in English
  • Become familiar with U.S. business school culture
  • Improve your virtual communication skills for Zoom meetings and online discussions
  • Build your case analysis skills and practice them in a mock class led by a Ross professor
  • Develop strategies for communicating effectively and working collaboratively in a diverse, global team
  • Receive feedback from U-M Ross professors on your analytical and problem-solving skills
  • Become aware of your personal strengths and weaknesses, and how to leverage them for success
  • Receive individualized language support in real time
  • Make friends and begin to build your social and professional networks

Course Components

• Oral Communication
  • Business Writing
  • Case Studies Discussion
  • Team Building Skills
  • U-M Ross Business + Impact Team Project
  • Pronunciation Consultations (Optional)

You should expect to spend 18-20 hours each week to complete all program assignments, including participation in online discussions and team tasks. A certificate of completion is awarded to participants who fulfill all program requirements.

Are You Hoping to be in Ann Arbor this summer?

For students who are able to travel to the U.S. and will be residing in Ann Arbor during the program, ELI will offer optional in-person gatherings to welcome you to Michigan and help you begin to get to know the Ann Arbor area, as safety conditions permit. 

Student Testimonials 

Former students consistently report that they felt EBS prepared them to make the most of their Ross experience. They especially valued the language skills they gained and the strong social support network they developed over the course of the summer.

“ EBS prepared me very well for both recruiting and academics. I feel like I had advantages over other international students. I feel I had an edge in the group assignments when Fall semester started.”- Anakorn, Ross MBA ‘17

“I started my Ross MBA journey with EBS, and the lessons I learned from EBS continuously helped me overcome challenges in my two years at Ross. Through EBS, I sharpened my English communication skills and developed the necessary toolkit that I frequently used in class discussions, recruiting activities, and social events. Other than that, I developed long-lasting friendships with my EBS buddies. As an international student, I appreciate the opportunities afforded by EBS to prepare early for my Ross MBA by engaging with the Ross community, meeting amazing international classmates, and learning practical skills that MBA students need. I highly recommend that every international student join!"  -Shao-Wen, Ross MBA ‘21

Program Details

Dates: June 14- July 16 2021

Weekly time commitment: 18-20 hours per week

Tuition: $5600

Application/Deposit Deadline: May 24, 2021

Full tuition balance due: June 1, 2021 

How to Apply:

• Complete the Summer 2021 EBS Online Application form:

Summer 2021 EBS Online Application

• Your application, along with a non-refundable $500 deposit and any supporting materials, must be received by May 24, 2021
  • After your application is approved, you will receive an email from ELI with further instructions, including a link to the final payment page. You must pay the remaining full tuition balance by June 1, 2021.
  • Please note: Online programs do not qualify for F-1 visa study.

For questions or information please email us at summerprograms@umich.edu