Social, Behavioral & Experimental Economics (SBEE): How Social Stratification Affects Information Processing

Neil Lewis, Jr., Cornell University & Weill Cornell Medicine
Wednesday, February 24, 2021
1:00-2:15 PM
Virtual
Abstract:
The United States has long been, and continues to be, a highly segregated society. When societies separate groups of people in the ways that we do in the U.S., that separation has not only economic, political, and sociological consequences, it also affects the psychology of the people in those societies due to social cognitive processes. In this talk, I will share recent findings from my program of research that has been using the United States as a context to examine how patterns of segregation and other forms of social stratification seep into the mind and affect how people perceive and make meaning of the world around them. I will also discuss the consequences of those meaning-making processes for people’s judgments, motivations, and decisions, particularly in the domains of education, health, and environmental sustainability. I will conclude with implications of this research for social scientific theories, and the practical application of those theories.

For information on how to watch this lecture and sign up for the SBEE mailing list to receive notice of upcoming events, please visit the SBEE website:
https://umbee.github.io/SBEE_Seminars
Building: Off Campus Location
Location: Virtual
Website:
Event Type: Workshop / Seminar
Tags: Economics, seminar
Source: Happening @ Michigan from Department of Economics, Social, Behavioral, and Experimental Economics (SBEE)