Networking is a critical component to finding out about careers and internships. A recent Alumni survey indicated that the majority of Alumni found their jobs via networking and internships.
So start networking today!
Several websites/articles give great advice on how to approach networking:
- The Balance Careers
- Wall Street Journal
- LinkedIn Article
- University of Michigan Career Center Networking Resources
There are several networking opportunities for Earth and Environmental Science students.
Alumni: Reach out to Alumni through UCAN and LinkedIn.
- University Career Alumni Network
- University of Michigan Alumni Association
- LinkedIn University of Alumni Group
- Attend the Alumni Advisory Board Student outreach in October
Professional Organizations: Join relevant Earth and Environmental professional organizations and attend meetings
- GSA: Geological Society of America
- American Institute of Professional Geologists
- American Geophysical Union
- American Geosciences Institute
- Environmental Science Organization
- AEG: The Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists
- EEGS: Focusing on geophysics in environmental and geological engineering
- AAPG: American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- USGS: US Geological Survey
- USA Jobs
- NSA: National Security Agency
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration
- AIME: The American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers
Attend Conferences: Consider presenting papers at relevant conferences (e.g. if you are interested in a career in the Oil and Gas sector, try and present your research at AAPG)
- Graduate students can get funding from Rackham to attend conferences if they are presenting a paper: Rackham Conference Travel Grant.
Network with peers to find out about their experiences
- Geoclub: Meetings are monthly and there are opportunities to participate in field trips and outreach events.