Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$root.page}}

Alumni Spotlight

Read about our Communication and Media Alumni Spotlight. Alumni were asked to share how their Communication and Media major has influenced their path after graduating from the University of Michigan.

Julia Dixon

BA Communication Studies; Screen Arts and Cultures '18

Hometown: Troy, MI

Affiliations: Greek Life, Dance Marathon, Michigan Association of Communications Studies

"My Communication Studies classes during my time at Michigan helped me discover my passion for both media and production. I am especially grateful that I was able to experience the field first hand during the mini-internship program I participated in through the department. I spent a weekend in New York City as a production runner for Michigan alum Tracy Wolfson, sportscaster at CBS Sports, for the Big Ten Tournament at Madison Square Garden. My time with the sportscasters and production teams allowed me to explore the fast-paced environment of a live program. The connections I made during the weekend also shaped my career after graduation. I was fortunate enough to receive an offer at CBS and a fellowship invitation from a media agency, where I am currently working. Without this generous opportunity I was given by the Communications department, I wouldn't be where I am today!" 

Hannah Baiardi

BA Communication Studies, B.F.A Jazz Studies, Piano '18

Hometown: South Lyon, MI

Affiliations: M-agination Films, Consider Magazine, Awaken Ann Arbor

"The breadth of an LSA Communications degree is limitless. Since graduating, I've found myself working at a radio station, launching a podcast series, producing a music video and gaining lots of interview experience in a variety of fields. Straight out of college is where your people-skills come in handy and where you learn how to put your social and professional networks to good use. The LSA Communications network of professors, mentors, advisors and students is strong and accessible and I'd encourage recent graduates to stay connected with this community!"

Hannah Baiardi is an accomplished musician! Check out her music on www.hannahbaiardi.com

Sara Smoler

BA Communication Studies '14

Hometown: West Bloomfield, MI

Affiliations: MACS (now MCMP)

"The work I did in undergrad helped me understand the science of the communication industry. From taking 400-level classes to supplement my curriculum I was able to learn the various facets of the wide net of the field. Talking to professors, and recent alums, helped me understand what areas I found interesting and what was alluring for me as I looked for a job. I still remember the COMM lab class I took where I learned how to use the SPSS software - learning the research in the field of communication was invaluable as I still work in research and insights for pitching new business to this day! I work in Business Development at Ogilvy - responsible for pitching net new business to Ogilvy, and partnering with Account Teams to grow their businesses organically and cross-sell our advertising services. Some of my most notable pitch wins have been Nationwide and Coca-Cola."