The University of Michigan International Institute (II) photo contest is open to all students affiliated with the institute and its 17 centers and programs through research, study, or an internship abroad completed between August 2018–August 2019.
Photos will be judged on subject matter, composition, technical quality, creativity, and originality by a select panel of U-M staff and faculty members.
Deadline: October 29, 2019
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go Blue!: $200 and the winning photo will be featured on the II website.
The World is a Classroom: First Prize - $300; Second Prize - $200; Third Prize - $100
Wish You Were Here: First Prize - $300; Second Prize - $200; Third Prize - $100
Rules of Entry and Guidlines
The University of Michigan International Institute (II) photo contest is open to all students affiliated with the II and/or its 17 centers and programs, either through funding or study.
Photos must be taken in conjunction with research, study, or an internship abroad related to or funded by the II and/or its centers and programs. The research, internship, or study abroad must have been completed between August 2018–August 2019. For more information: email@example.com.
Rules of Entry
- Entrants must have participated in research, an internship, or study abroad related to or funded by the International Institute and/or one or more of its centers or programs between August 2017-August 2018
- Up to three photos (one per category) may be submitted per entrant
- Photos must be your original work and taken during your research, internship, or study abroad completed between August 2017-August 2018
- Digitally altered photos are not accepted. Black and white photos ARE eligible
- Submit photo(s) using the II submission form
- Entries must be received no later than the designated deadline of (October 29, 2019) and submitted via the International Institute's online photo contest submission form
- Photos must be your original work
- Photo specs : JPEG, TIFF, or RAW
- Color and black and white photos are eligible
- Large format, high resolution (300dpi recommended)
- Each entry must be sent as an individual file via the online submission form
- By entering the II Photo Contest, the student acknowledges the Photo Contest Use Notice
- Entries must be received no later than October 29, 2019 via the II's online submission form
We ask students to keep in mind the ethical aspects of capturing images of people and places. Please be aware not everyone wants to be photographed and not all places can or should be photographed.
Here are questions you can ask yourself as you think through the range of situations you’ll encounter:
• Could there be a tension between my intentions in taking this photo and the way the photo will be perceived by others, especially those in the United States?
• Is it appropriate in this context to ask the person’s/people’s permission?
If you plan to submit photos, know that certain types of content are restricted. We do not use photos depicting: life-threatening behavior, illegal activity, alcohol consumption, nudity, locations where we know your presence is prohibited, and customs that can be perceived as animal cruelty.