Provides stipends, language training, and individualized professional internships in Asia for 18 young Americans each year. The program's purpose is to increase awareness of Asia among future leaders in American society. Placements can be made in the following locations: Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam. The annual selection is an unusually rigorous process and a nationwide competition. Each candidate must first be nominated by their home university. For additional program information, visit the Henry Luce Foundation website.
By appointment. Meetings may be in-person or via phone. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Luce Scholar Program campus liaison at email@example.com.
October 10, 2017
University of Michigan students and alumni interested in applying to the Luce Scholars Program must submit the application materials electronically or in hard copy to II Fellowships at the U-M International Institute (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application materials can be mailed to:
Luce Scholars Program Campus Committee
c/o Beth Dutridge-Corp
500 Church St., Suite 300
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1042
- Luce Scholars Program Application
- Four Letters of Recommendation
- Transcripts (undergraduate and graduate, if applicable)
- Two Passport-size Photos
- American citizen
- No more than 29 years old by July 1, 2018
- Received at least a bachelor’s degree
- High achievement, outstanding leadership ability, and a clearly defined career interest with evidence of potential for professional accomplishment
- Students who already have significant experience in Asia or Asian studies are NOT eligible for nomination to the Luce Scholars Program
- More eligibility information
An International Institute committee will review applications, and invite the most promising applicants for an interview in October. All applicants will be informed of the results of the University of Michigan review by the end of October. The committee may select no more than three applicants to be nominated to the Luce Scholars Program. All applicants will be informed of the results of the University of Michigan review by the end of October. Nominees will be forwarded to the Luce Foundation where they will enter the selection process at the Luce Scholars Program.