Good afternoon, everyone. Good afternoon and welcome to the 2023 State of the College Address. I'm delighted to see so many of you here and I'd like to welcome everyone who's watching on livestream as well. I'm Anne Curzan. I'm the Dean of the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, which we affectionately refer to as LSA, no ampersand anymore. And I'm also a professor of English and Linguistics with a courtesy appointment in Education. It is amazing to say this out loud, but I am in my 22nd year on the faculty at the University of Michigan. I am also an alum of LSA. I got my PhD here in English Language and Literature. So I'm a very proud alum. And this is a poignant State of the College for me because this is my fifth of five. I started in the Fall of 2019. And I will be returning to the faculty, as you all know at the end of June 2024. So here at the beginning, I want to note an important tool for accessibility. And let's see if I can get these slides working. Maybe not. There we go. So as part of the live stream for today's event, we have live captioning so if you're watching remotely, you should be able to turn on the captions on your browser. And if you're here, and you would like to have captions, you can visit this web address, or you can use a QR code that is here and you'll be able to follow along with captions on your phone. So I also want to before I turn to the State of the College Address, I want to acknowledge what a heartbreaking and terrifying couple of weeks we are experiencing that so many in our community are experiencing as we grapple with the horrific violence in the Middle East, and the repercussions for members of our own community. As a human in the world, and as the dean of the college. I condemn antisemitism, Islamophobia and other forms of hate. And it is my intention to support all members of our community as we continue to pursue our mission as a college and live into our values. Recognizing each other's humanity, even when, and perhaps especially when we disagree. And when we disagree about issues that are deeply, deeply personal to many of us. So I will continue to do all that I can as the dean of the college not to let the fabric of our own community tear as we navigate our way through this. So the State of the College is an opportunity for us to step back each Fall, and to consider our accomplishments as well as our values and goals, our challenges, our budget. I know you all look forward to that part and our priorities for the year ahead. TL;DR, the State of the College is strong. For those of you who do not perhaps know TL;DR This is TL semicolon DR There are not that many acronyms that have a semicolon in them. We should celebrate everyone that does so TL;DR which stands for too long; didn't read. And it is actually now in the Merriam Webster dictionaries should you wish to look it up. It was got in there into it is dated back to 2002 and it is defined in Merriam Webster as "a briefly expressed main point or key message that summarizes a longer discussion or explanation." So TL;DR the State of the College is strong. And now I'm going to provide a longer explanation of that. So what does it mean that the State of the College is strong? So yes, it means that the budget is balanced. And I will come back to that. But I think about this in terms of alignment between what we do and our mission, vision, and values. I think about it in terms of academic excellence in our research and education. And I think about it in terms of impact, among many other things. And I have been thinking about with the State of the College, I actually went back and watched my first State of the College. I don't recommend this as an activity but I and and remember that in that first State of the College, I was talking about what we were about to launch which was re-articulating our vision mission and values as a college. And I'm so glad that we did that work as a college and part of it was that we could come together to think about as a liberal arts college what is our mission, vision, mission and values within the university, but also these guided us as we then went through a very challenging couple of years as a college and helped us as we were both addressing urgent issues arising and as we were keeping ourselves on track with the priority items that we wish to keep moving forward. And I see my role fundamentally as being the fiercest advocate of the college and liberal arts and keeping us moving forward on priority initiatives from the units and from task forces that we have set up as a college. And as the dean, I have the real privilege of seeing what's going on in every corner of the college across all the divisions, across all of our units, the administration. It is so different from the many years I spent as a member of the English department where I knew the English department really well and some of my neighbors both physically and intellectually, but very, very different to come into the dean's office and get to see into all of our classrooms among our researchers, what our undergraduate and graduate students are doing, postdocs, staff, and faculty. And I will say that, as I reflect on this one of the things from this view, is a real sense of awe and admiration of this college and and a real sense of inspiration. And one of the things that I, let's see, that I often say and I say I say this because it is true, is that we are the University of Michigan's largest college at the heart of the university. And this really is I think, something that we should not take for granted in LSA that we are the largest and we are at the heart of the university. I think about this when I'm at meetings of all the deans and the provost. These are the shorthand is APG meetings. I was in one this morning. And there are times when the provost will say things to the dean, like, go find out what your community thinks about this. And there are Dean's of small schools who nod like that is a reasonable request. And I think, that is, I can't actually do that. Although I can because what I do is I come back and I talk with the my leadership team. I talk with the chairs and directors. I talk with the chief administrators, they talk with their teams, we go all the way down we have the conversations, we bring it all the way back up. And then I go to the provost and I say here's what LSA, here's what's going on in LSA. So I want to take these one at a time that we are both the largest college and that we are at the heart of the university. So let's start with we are the largest college I think we all know that LSA is really big. But when you step back and look at the numbers, some of them are jaw dropping, and some of them are really fun. So I'm going to share some of these facts. We're going to start with people. So we will start with students. At this moment. At last count, we have 21,972 students. That's over, as you can see here, 19,168 undergraduates, 592 Masters students, and 2132 PhDs students That is an astounding number. And I love this circle graph as we look at LSA compared with other units, so we are more than twice as big as engineering, which is the next biggest unit. And if you look at Psychology and Economics together, they have larger enrollments than many of the other schools and colleges, just two of our departments. Many of the other schools and colleges. We have 1806 faculty and postdocs, 1214 staff. In the calendar year 2023, we taught 11,105 classes. I see some people, that is a lot of classes. I think about that sometimes in terms of March 2020, when we took, in four days, over 4000 classes online. We have in the college 1.7 million square feet of building space. In fiscal year 2023, our generous donors gave or pledged 63 million dollars, one piano, and a viola. And this is supporting 80 different academic units and other student support units in the college. In fiscal year 2023, we had $96.8 million dollars of research funding awarded and we had 229 million in research expenditures. And that is an 8.25% increase from fiscal year 22. In fiscal year 2023, the LSA movers completed 1300 tickets and Technology Services managed 28,806 requests for help, of which some number that will remain unnamed are from me. So we had 45, more than 45 million website page views. The LSA team, the Marketing and Communications team, updated 8000 variations of individual unit logos. We are a big place. LSA students are studying abroad in 45 countries. We are doing research projects in 53 countries. Each year we use 7600 sticks of chalk, that is about 216 pounds of chalk, and that is only in the math department. I do not know what is happening in all of the other departments. In the research museums, we recently added a very large collection of snake specimens, which means that we now have over 65,000 Snake specimens, the biggest collection in the world, as far as we know. We teach more than 50 languages, from Aramaic to Vietnamese, from Hebrew to middle Egyptian hieroglyphics, Punjabi to Ojibwe. We are really proud of this. The Natural History Museum hosted hosts over 154,000 annual visitors. This is what it means that we are a big place and it also captured some of the diversity of the many things that are in LSA from academic departments, to all of our support units of our mission. We have museums, we have boats. We have we have all kinds of things going on here. So we are very large. And then I want to talk about the fact that we are at the heart of the university. So the scale of LSA, when I think about that, the scale of LSA matters because the mission of LSA matters. We often say that LSA sits at the heart, because when I think about what does it mean that we're the heart. Well, one thing it means is that every undergraduate student at the University of Michigan takes classes in LSA. I love that fact. No matter what school in college they are in, they take classes in LSA. Our work is at the core of the university's mission. What we are doing in our research and our education is fundamental. Our teams manage and support buildings, not just for LSA, but for other schools and colleges as well. Our student support units support students from all across the college. That's the Science Learning Center, Sweetland, the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program, CSP Summer Bridge Scholars Program and the list goes on. We have museums that serve not just the entire university, but the Ann Arbor community and beyond. And behind each of the facts that I shared about the size of LSA, there are, of course, people and to take just one example. Let's think about the skill and tenacity it takes to teach over 11,000 classes every year. So it's the instructors who are planning and conducting the course it's the department staff who are providing support the classroom and technology teams making the presentations and lectures and discussions possible. The movers who are moving teaching aids to the building, the custodial services, who are keeping the buildings in order and, of course, the students themselves who are coming in to explore and learn. And when I think about it, you can do this with every single example of what we do. It also exemplifies what I mean, when I talk about the outstanding organization of LSA, we are an incredibly well organized college, and I don't say that as praise for me as the dean, it's praise for all of you in the college. It's what makes this big college work is that we are so well functioning at every level of the college. And we do things at scale. I say that all the time about LSA, we do things at scale. And it's one of the reasons that we often have decided to pilot things in LSA, because if it works in LSA, then the university can pick it up because it works at scale. So we did that with the student laptop program, where we were loaning laptops, and it worked so well that it became a university program. We did that with the transitional funding for graduate students who are supported by a [inaudbile] in their labs, that's another university program. Right now we are showing how the disability navigators work within the college and we hope that will also become a university program. So, this is, as I think about LSA, this is for all of these reasons why I'm so proud of who we are and what we do and why I talk about us as being at the very heart of this university. And I also think it's why it matters how we talk about what we do. So this is where I'm going to put my linguist's hat on. It really matters how we talk about the value of the liberal arts, we need to make it clear what it is that we do and how it addresses the common good. So as you all know, I think about language and words a lot. And I think that we can find better terms in two spaces to talk about what we do. And I've been thinking about this for years and I decided this State of the College was where I was going to roll it out. So the first is that we need to talk about Foundational Science. Let's make sure that we do not use the term basic science. Let's talk about Foundational Science. It is the foundation of technological breakthroughs. It is the research that unlocks our understanding of the natural world and the universe, from the makeup of cells to the expanses of oceans and the universe. We all know there are connotations of basic, we may mean it as synonymous with foundational, but it has other meanings as well, and that this is Foundational Science. I also hope that we can talk about Foundational Skills. These are skills that are often referred to as soft skills. This is one of my least favorite terms. Because soft skills at some level implies that these are easy, sort of squishy, in some way. And in fact, the the skills that we're talking about here are some of the hardest skills to acquire. And they are foundational. This is understanding the world from perspectives that are different from your own. This is why we study history. And Art and Literature and Languages and Cultural Studies. It is communicating effectively with versatility across audiences and contexts and media. It is asking probing analytic questions about information that is presented to us it's about having the courage to pause and consider whether we need to rethink what we think we know. It is steering through uncertainty and having the creative impulse to find multiple solutions. These are Foundational Skills. And I was actually just in a meeting this morning where somebody pulled out soft skills, and I thought you should come to the State of the College. But I say this because it is so important that we talk about the value of what we do and that we think about the language we use to do that. That this research we do this education we provide is foundational, it's so important, and I thought that I would share three stories. I tell many, many stories about the college. That's one of my jobs as the dean is I get to tell stories about the college and I thought I would share three stories that I have been telling over the last year. So the first story is about Saturday morning physics. So, Josh Cassada, who is an astronaut beamed in from the space station last winter, and several hundred people attended. This was in our new classroom building. And you can see in here photos of the live stream and that was projected in the classroom. You can also see to the right three year old astronaut, Vivian, who was one of many kids who attended and were clearly thrilled to ask questions. Although, I will say the adults were equally thrilled to ask questions. I was there that was when I was on crutches, but I made my way over there. And Josh Cassada was so good at answering these questions. His enthusiasm for science and for the work he is doing were absolutely infectious and this sense of wonder, and I think that one thing that it can be easy to forget when we are exposed to this kind of wow technology, which does just create a real sense of wonder whether this is the space station or smartphones or AI is that all of this was built on Foundational Science. And if we think about something like the Space Program, this is Physics. This is built on Physics. Someone pointed out there's some chemistry too but, um, So, and at Saturday morning physics, it was also of course about people who made this activity so wonderful. So here you have a picture of John Foster, who is in the College of Engineering. He's a professor of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences. He is also an LSA graduate. He got his PhD in our fabulous applied physics program here in LSA. And he was there explaining the space station to all of us, and then the team who made it all possible from the physics department, LSA Technology Services. And the disability navigators. So I had been sharing this because one of the things on our research page we talk about LSA and the wonder of why and this sense of wonder, and this was a really special for me once in a lifetime event to get to be there to experience this wonder. The second story that I've been telling is about transfer student Zena Issa I met Zena when she gave the featured student address at the LSA scholarship dinner just about a year ago. She grew up in Baldwin, Missouri, until the age of 12, when her family moved to Kurdistan. As the environment there became more dangerous. She and her family returned to the US in 2018 to Detroit. And as she explained at the dinner, no money, no friends, no degree of any kind, but a degree a drive to excel no matter my circumstances. She quickly got a job at a coffee shop. She got her GED. She enrolled in community college. And that is where she discovered her passion for journalism. She says I needed to be in front of a camera bringing attention to things and to people who don't receive enough attention. She applied to transfer to the University of Michigan, and she will graduate from U of M this spring, having earned fellowships and phenomenal internships, all along the way. And, she was one of, she was so inspiring to this entire group, students were rushing up to her afterwards to talk with her about her story. And she is one of the thousands of astounding students who we have here in LSA. We encounter them every day. These are people who are already changing the world in positive, purposeful ways. And I think as a college we are honored and uplifted by having these students here. This story also highlights the importance of the transfer student programs that we've created. We have been working hard to encourage more community college students to transfer to the University of Michigan and specifically to LSA, these are the transfer students from community colleges having taught many, many in my own classrooms, phenomenal set of students, and we have needed and wanted to make it easier for them to transfer. So that has meant looking at our own policies as well as a really wonderful team who is supporting students along with student ambassadors once they get here. This is the kind of student support that we are getting better and better at as we realize that it is not just getting students to LSA and to the University of Michigan but supporting them when they are here with much more wraparound support. So, the third story I'm going to tell you is about Sara Buss, professor of Philosophy. There has been so much conversation about AI and I think it has been approximately 20 minutes before I have mentioned AI with any depth in this talk. So I'm going to take some credit for that didn't make any jokes about AI writing my speech, I wrote this. So, clearly AI is transforming our research, our teaching, questions about how it's transforming learning. This technology also raises fundamental questions about humans, and about what it means to create fake humans. What we're going to do with the fake humans. So I was talking with Sara, and she shared with me her reflections with students on the first day of class in one of her philosophy courses. And she talked about the importance of experiencing things and doing things and I asked her if I could I was inspired by she described this to me. I said would you send me your comments to the students, which she did And then I have said Can I quote them to other people? And she said that I could. So in terms of talking about experiencing things. She points out that the music we've listened to, the books we've read, the people we've talked to, of course, shape who we are, and, what possibilities are open to us as we move forward. And then she talked with students about the importance of doing things and here I'm going to quote with a little bit of length, but I think it's totally worth it. Because this is how philosophers think and write about some of these questions. If you don't practice playing the guitar or shooting baskets, or drawing portraits, or reading challenging texts, or having in depth conversations, you will not be the person who is capable of doing these things. And you will miss out on the great pleasures of doing them. Of course, someone else can do them instead. Eventually a machine will probably be able to play tennis and the piano better than any of us ever could. Is this a reason for us to spend our lives doing nothing more than eating, sleeping, pooping, and seeking out the sort of bodily pleasures that do not require hard work or experience? To my mind, the answer is obviously no. Playing chess or soccer or piano can enrich your life in a way that no machine can. And there are certain capacities we should all seek to develop no matter how different our life trajectories may be. This brings me back and I'm still quoting her. This brings me back to this class and to the artificial intelligences that stand ready and willing to help us avoid the hard work involved in developed developing the capacity to think our own thoughts and to craft the sentences and construct the arguments that are part of thinking these thoughts and communicating them effectively to others. As I said these machines can be extremely helpful to us. My point is that we should resist the temptation to allow these machines to prevent us from taking advantage of opportunities to enrich our lives by learning how to form our own opinions in the only way we responsibly can. By struggling to consider the reasons for and against different positions we might take on the issues that matter to us. And as part of the struggle by spelling out these reasons for ourselves in speech and writing. And as Sarah notes and this is what I love there is a real joy in learning, even when it's frustrating. And that that is part of why we do this work is that there is pleasure and joy in it. And that this kind of learning allows for a self transformation that no machine can do for us. And I wanted to highlight this as I think about the value of the liberal arts because questions like Sara's are in and of themselves transformational. They up end the conversation. They challenge our assumptions about what matters, and they ask us about the kinds of people that we want to be both individually and collectively. This is at the heart of the liberal arts and this kind of work that challenges what we know, what we think we know, how we think. In the world. This is happening in the natural sciences, the social sciences, and the humanities all across LSA. And I will say this is why LSA needs to be at the table as we have conversations across the university, across higher education, and across the country about AI, about sustainability and climate change, about economic inequality, about structural racism, about war, about global health equity, bias and privacy in the digital world. The list goes on and on. And you need scholars like the ones we are training and the people who are working here to be at the table. We have never been more relevant. So with that, because there is no good transition. I'm gonna talk about the budget I know you have all been waiting with bated breath for this moment. So now I will put you out of your misery and we will talk about the budget Um, I do want to thank the Finance team for their help putting together these slides and also to thank the Communication and Marketing team for their help with the entire State of the College Address. My team in the Dean's office, Technology Services, the Facilities team who set up this room. If we could just do a round of applause for everybody who made this possible [Applause] So, the State of the College, financially, is strong. We have a balanced budget with a surplus I am pleased to report. So the first slide I'm going through the slides we usually do at the State of the College of where does the LSA money come from? This is a an overview of all of our revenue sources. You will see that the vast majority of our funding comes from the general funds and I will come back to that sponsored funds these would be research grants and the like that are coming in there along with gifts and designated funds. So the general fund which is the biggest part of our budget, as you will see here is that over 75% comes from undergraduate tuition this is true year after year is that we are a college whose budget is driven by undergraduate tuition. And I think about that every time I make financial decisions in the college. This is students money that we are using and I take that with such seriousness in terms of the responsibility of how we use that money. So that is there you can see the chart of the general fund. Where do the funds go? So as has been true every year most of the funds go to people and that is how it should be the excellence of the college is about the people who are in the college. So you will see that this is financial aid and then instructional salaries, staff salaries, employee benefits, this is the bulk of our budget is going to people then of course we pay taxes. We won't get into the whole budget model but we pay taxes and then you will see other costs in terms of running the college. You may have noticed on the first slide of how much money did we have? We had 1.1 billion. 1.1 billion. That is the size of this college. How much did we spend? 1.05 That is good, that's how we would like this to look. Which is that we are bringing in more than we are spending. You will also see here captured in these slides is the fact that when I say things like we're running a surplus that's actually important because one of the things we need to do is save money for things like large capital projects. So for us to be able to do things like renovate the chemistry building, renovate Lorch Hall, we need to save money away so that we can take on some of these big projects as a college. So with that, I'm going to turn the last part of this talk to our investments in the Liberal Arts, because we are responsible and prudent with our money. We are able to make smart and strategic investments and we are investing in the liberal arts at a time when not all universities are doing this and we know that and I'm so proud that we are able to invest and we are investing across all divisions of the college. So I'm going to quickly go through a list of highlights of investments. And then I would welcome questions during the Q&A about any of these. So in terms of our academic research missions, some of the places where we are investing we've been investing for several years now in the Digital Studies Institute which is a vibrant research and teaching Institute on campus, a new investment which is the Quantum Research Institute. We established the Meet the Moment research initiative a couple of years ago we gave four grants through that that were focused on issues such as climate change and mass incarceration. And we are doing the second round right now with decisions to come this spring. And we are investing in building renovations. As I mentioned, right now Chemistry and Lorch Hall and we're looking ahead to the other renovations that lie ahead. And then as some of you will know, we sent out a survey recently to research faculty to ask about how we can provide better support for our research mission. And if you haven't, if you are someone who does that and you haven't filled out this survey yet, I will send a reminder and you'll get a chance but lots of [Audio Issue] more in support for our research mission. In terms of Undergraduate Education, we have launched the Program in Computing for Arts and Sciences to help Liberal Arts students get the computing and digital literacy that they are trying to get we are working on our LSA First Gen Commitment. This is we have a lot of first generation students and it is an ever growing population. And we are thinking about student success as student thriving and the support that we want to be able to provide all first generation students in the college so that they can thrive. We have now officially launched our Student Mental Health and Well-being Advocates. There are two of them in the undergraduate education office, and we are showing, they are helping us see what it means to look at this question structurally in terms of how we can better support students in terms of their mental health and well-being. I also want to note that the LSA Opportunity Hub is now hosting employers in our space, and we are helping our students with their Foundational Science expertise and their Foundational Skills. Get connected with employers for the next chapter of their careers. In terms of our DEI investments, we will have our DEI launch event for our DEI 2.0 plan on November 13 in this building at one o'clock I hope many of you will be able to come to that. One of the things I'm really there's so many things to be proud of in our in terms of our DEI 2.0 plan. One is the ways in which it builds on task forces that we have used over the past few years. So an anti racism task force, a task force on preventing sexual and gender based harassment and then recently the LGBTQ plus working group. And you'll see here that we also have an event on November 6, where that report I sent to you all at the end of September. It is a remarkable report. We're going to have a community discussion on November 6, and our DEI 2.0 work is building on all of the recommendations that are coming out of these groups. DEI 2.0 focuses on staff, students and faculty. It provides support so that all units across the college can focus on core goals for them. And of course, we, we're going to continue the LSA Collegiate Fellows Program and extend it to associate professor hiring. And of course, we are also lending our expertise as a college to central efforts such as there's a new antisemitism initiative, which is really important we think about the rise of antisemitism nationally, locally, and we are lending our expertise to that. We are partnering on research on equity and student academic success, which is really exciting and important work. Our experts continue to consult on how to appropriately acknowledge our history and the land on which we sit. And so I'm going to share with you one current version of the land acknowledgement and this is something that our faculty with expertise are helping to continue to work through. And I want to say as a first step, right first to acknowledge our history, but this is just the first step. There is so much work we need to do in this space. The University of Michigan is located on the territory of the Anishinaabeg people. The Ann Arbor campus currently resides on land ceded in the treaty of Detroit and 1807. Additionally, in 1817, the Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi nations made the single largest land transfer to the University of Michigan, ceded at the treaty of fort Meggs, with the hope that their children would be educated. However, the University of Michigan would not have another native student enrolled for another 100 years. We acknowledge the sovereignty of tribal lands and the painful history of genocide, forced assimilation, and displacement of native communities that facilitated the placement of this very university. We affirm contemporary and ancestral Anishnaabeg ties to this land, the profound contributions of native Americans to this institution and the university's commitment to educate the children of native ancestors. There is so much work we still have to do to make good on that commitment. There is also so much work we need to do for so many students we need to do better for our black students, for Latina Latino Latinx students, for our Middle Eastern and North African students for all our students of color. This is core to our DEI work in the college. We know that it enhances our excellence in terms of work that we do here in LSA. And it is our goal to weave DEI into the very fabric of this place. Into who we are and what we do. It needs to be part of the fabric. I will end our investments with Sustainability. We are going to launch the Year of Sustainability in January. 2024 will be the Year of Sustainability. This will involve coursework, it will be programming, and so much more including some funding opportunities for units who want to pilot programs initiatives that will advance our sustainability goals. We will be looking at structural changes to policies and the way we do things to enhance and forward our sustainability goals. The Year of Sustainability is designed to be a launch to many many years of sustainability. It is a launch pad. And I don't think I have done this yet at a State of the College I get to make an announcement. I am announcing that pending completion of a campus level review and then approved by the regents. We will be partnered with the Office of the Provost to invest 10 million dollars to make the University of Michigan Biological Station carbon neutral. [Applause] We've been talking about this for a few years and I am glad that we can now announce that commitment. That we will be making the Biostation carbon neutral. It is just the beginning, but it feels like a really exciting way to kick off the Year of Sustainability. [Inaudible] So I'm going to tell you a story to say all of what I've talked about it is possible from the ideas to the implementation of these ideas. because the college is bigger than any one of us We have a coherent and inspiring mission and vision that is at the heart of this university. People are pursuing work that is personal, they are diving into exploration. They are advancing our DEI work. They are finding ways to promote well-being all across the college. Together we're building things that last we are changing the world in positive ways and ways that align with our values as a college. So I told you three inspiring stories. These are three out of 1000s of stories in the college. And to me, as I said, one of the most remarkable privileges of this job is that I got lifted out of my own department and my area of expertise to see across the entire landscape of the college in terms of what we are doing and it is breath taking the scope, the energy, the creativity, the impact, and this is all in one college. This is why I feel so optimistic that whatever comes next and whoever is in this role after me, we will continue to be the remarkable place that is LSA that is at the very heart of this university. So thank you all for being here and I think I have left enough time that we can do a robust Q&A. So thank you. [Applause] Now I get to come out from behind the podium. And I would be delighted. I see we've got Lauren with a microphone. We've got a couple of microphones and fantastic We've got three microphones. So we're ready for questions and I'm a teacher so I can wait you out [Laughter] [Audio Difficulties] I wanted to ask about the upcoming Vision 2034 That, um, we don't know exactly what it will entail but presumably more emphasis on interdisciplinary and diverse at the university, which there are many, but then you could also argue that the decentralized budget model and so forth keeps us apart. I wonder whether it is a in particular with the three subdivisions could take a leadership role in bridging the different disciplines so humanities, social sciences, natural sciences. In some way. It's meaningful I mean, sure there are things going on but could be more. So Neil, if I understand correctly, if we could be doing more even across our three divisions. As we look toward interdisciplinary across the university. [Audio Difficulties] Yeah, so I think, I think the answer is we absolutely should. And one of the things I've liked about some of the funding models that we have put in place is that we are requiring collaboration across disciplines. It doesn't always cross divisions, but it often does. That in order, the Meet the Moment grant these these, these have to be interdisciplinary teams. And I actually was in a meeting this morning, where we were thinking about whether the university at some point would move more into the credentialing space. And I thought you know, this is a place where I would want these credentials to be really interdisciplinary. So you think about something on AI? Well, I want people to, you know, be doing coding and this kind of thing and take a philosophy course. I want people who are thinking about climate change to take a communications or a psychology course, to think about how do you convince people that climate change is something that we need to deal with or persuade people to do something about it? So this is certainly the future. It's something our President is very invested in, is this interdisciplinary work. We I will say it's interesting when I talk with faculty recruits or new faculty who've come to U of M who are struck by our interdisciplinarity of that, that to some extent, the walls are already pretty low in terms of moving across. But I do know that moving across schools and colleges is harder than moving across departments. And I think that is going to be part of the Vision 2034. It is something that people are thinking about in terms of the campaign. How can we have some things that are crossing across schools and colleges, you think about all the topics I've mentioned AI, climate change, democracy We have so much expertise across our schools and colleges and how do we incentivize that so very much on the university's radar, and I like your point of how can we model and be doing that even more than we are here? Thank you, Anne, Can you tell us about the piano and the viola? Oh, I'm going to hope. Nini, Can you tell us about the piano and the viola? We're going to need to hand you a microphone. So in development, we often receive gifts in kind to different departments, and I believe the piano and viola both went to the residential college [Audio Difficulties] Just pianos and violas. [Laughter] They are very special because they are in LSA. So they are very special. Yeah, we've got a question there. We can bring you up we can bring you a microphone Sara can we give you the microphone? And I would like to recognize Sara Buss. [Applause] I was wondering whether you have any fears, I mean, because you talk about all the hopes and I share them, and it's just you know, almost gives me goosebumps hearing it all. But yeah, you know, the darker side. Do you have any? I mean, maybe not fears, but apprehension or a sort of, identification of vulnerabilities. Do you think that, or you're thinking about especially. Yes, Sara, it's a good...I love the question. And particularly because I think as you all have come to know me I'm a very optimistic Pollyanna ish person. And much of what I'm talking about, in many ways, we could turn and think about them as responses to challenges. Right. So when I talk about the need to talk about the value of the liberal arts, and to think about the language we use, this is because we are in a culture right now that is struggling, at least in the public discourse to value the liberal arts and to value higher education more generally. And so it does matter how we talk about it. I know there are people who will say, you know, people should just understand why we matter. And I don't actually believe that I think we need to justify why we matter. And I really do believe we've never been more relevant, but we have to make that case. It is a vulnerability. And we can see this across higher education where people aren't always investing in the liberal arts, I think that is short sighted to not invest in the liberal arts. Delighted to be at the University of Michigan where we are able to do that. I worry as I know we all do a lot about student mental health and well being. I worry about the whole community's mental health and well being and focus particularly on students so that's where we're, you know, when people ask me what keeps you up at night, you know, students, making sure that we're really taking good care of students. I think at the University of Michigan, we have a lot of work to do on DEI. We have come we have made progress on our goals and progress I'm really proud of and we have taken it seriously as a university and as a college and we have a long way to go to live up to our ideals around access, around inclusion, To be as diverse and representative as we should be as a public university. We have a long we have a long way to go. But I'm fundamentally optimistic because the discourse for those of us who've been here a long time, the discourse is totally different from where we were in terms of the way we talk about the way we're committed to the actions we're taking, the willingness and one of the things I'm proud of in LSA is that we are looking at structures we are willing to look at structures and policies. I tried to tell people nothing is off the table here. And then of course, I think we're all trying to think about AI I mean, it's changing every day. So valued the way you were talking about it with students because we have to ask these fundamental questions. And what is it going to do to our research enterprise? How is it going to change the way we do research? How is it going to change the way we work? The way we learn? And we don't know the answer to that. So there are more but those are some fundamental ones. And as I think about it, I'm like those sort of map onto my talk. In some way or some things that, things that I'm thinking about. Is that a hand? Katherine, I think we've got a hand right here Hi, thank you, Anne, for this and for your service. I have a question related to DEI 2.0 One of the strategic plan initiatives, the actions is related to staff pay equity, which is exciting. There's a staff pay equity study that's going to be initiated and I wanted to know what considerations the college has in the potential implications of that study. And also with the GEO contract negotiations and how how the budget is going to be impacted by those things. And if that's something that the college is considering going forward. So thank you for the question. And absolutely, and this is where I feel lucky to have really fantastic leadership on the finance team, and with my leaders who are thinking about these budget questions all the time. The amazing thing to me is that they tell me they enjoy this. Now I will say I'm not scared of budgets, but I wouldn't say that like pleasure in terms of thinking about okay, let's work out the impact of the new GEO contract. So we are working that through right now it also sort of what what does this mean for the college? What does it cost? I'm delighted that we have a new contract. I'm delighted everyone is working under contract right now. It is going to cost us in the college. So the first thing we have to do is figure out what that looks like. And then we will have to figure out how we pay for that. So we have to think about you know, we will have to think about things people know this, like the size of graduate programs, as we think about the cost of graduate education. So that's a reality. We're going to sort that out. We will not do any of that without consultation, right. One of the things I've been so proud of is that we really try to work with as much transparency as possible and as we figure things out we go to chairs and directors, we go to chief administrators we say here's what we're seeing. Let's talk this through before we make decisions. The staff pay equity work is going to be really important for us. And I'm not leading in that space, but I do think that it's as we think about how staff colleagues can thrive here in the college questions of pay equity questions of professional development, you all have told us that those are incredibly important. The question of, you know, how do we handle that within the budget? This is this is what we do all the time, right? We're thinking about this in terms of how are we going to renovate the chemistry building, which is super expensive to do. We do this through centralist thinking about these questions and we're thinking about them in the college. But so I don't have a specific answer for you on that. But to say that I think this work is incredibly important and so we're creative in terms of thinking about how we make how we make that happen. Do we have another So, the university has just released preliminary drafts of the campus plan. So, I'm curious as to if you've seen them and what your thoughts on how LSA is represented in the 2050 campus plan [Audio Difficulties] Yeah, so that was not a plan. I would like you all to know we have not actually I'm like, Dan, what do you think about the campus plan? [Laughter] So I'll give you my thoughts and afterward, we can talk about how we both think about this So one of the things I'm always thinking about as the dean of LSA, what is my job here as we think about things like campus planning 2050. We have, now this is a stat, Daniel, tell me if I have it wrong. We have 20 buildings. Ish What I have been told most recently is that 11 of those buildings have not been renovated in 50 years. Exactly. So we teach every student. We have over 19,000 students, this is core mission work for us. This is also where we're doing research. So as I look at the campus plan, one of my jobs as the dean is always to be saying that new building is super exciting. And this building really needs to be renovated as does this building and this building. So one of my jobs is also to make sure that LSA gets our fair share, right? We have a lot of buildings, if you're a school with one building, and you get renovated, you can wait 50 years. We have a lot of buildings that need to get renovated, so I'm trying to make sure that we are thinking about renovating buildings in addition to building new buildings and that we're thinking about sustainability in all of this. So that's how I'm trying to to weigh this. I'm really glad they're doing it. I think having a campus plan and really thinking strategically about this. And one of the things we're thinking hard about is how we better connect North Campus and central campus. And I think if we can make that happen that would be transformational as we think about interdisciplinary research across schools and colleges. If we could travel more easily back and forth between North and Central that would make a huge difference. And so I say that a lot too. So I think we can take a couple more questions. So we've got Kelly Kathrine's coming Thank you Anne, and thank you also for five years almost of leadership, which I'm greatly, I'm very grateful. Greatly grateful, [Audio Difficulties] problematic. I stopped. I wondered about the LSA equivalents at our campuses in Dearborn and Flint. And I wonder if you could talk about them at all, and whether there's plans afoot at all to do more integration or collaboration across our three campuses. Yeah. Um Again, really appreciate the question. It's something that Tim McKay who is just left he's teaching he had told me he had to leave to teach, that we have been talking about so we are of course, different at Flint and Dearborn. Because, of course, they're very different campuses. I would like that partnership to be much more robust if we're thinking. I mean, we could think about it also on the faculty space exchanges, research spaces, we think about undergraduate education, respecting the incredible work that both of these campuses do, and recognizing that for some students there are things that the Ann Arbor campus can offer that Flint and Dearborn cannot. And so how do we facilitate right now all of those students go through the regular transfer process. There is no special relationship between Flint and Dearborn and Ann Arbor. So there are conversations about how we could create better relationships where it'd be easier for students who want to, but it is also really important to me that as part of that these are partnerships with those schools like I really worry about Ann Arbor, this sense that in Arbor is just sort of taking resources from other schools. I want to think about for for the students, for who this would be because we can offer things particularly liberal arts, that both those particularly Flint can't always do. But what how do we also think about reciprocity in that relationship? I always want to think about these things as partnerships and not one way thing so a work in progress but very much on our on our radar. I very much appreciate you taking the time to give really thoughtful responses. It's wonderful. So one thing that you brought up is the fact that of course, things that we do in the DEI and liberal arts education, higher education in general are seeing backlashes or movement of other parts of the country into different directions. And I'm always amazed how much personal outreach can make a difference and I keep thinking of, and I've had this idea for years, but this Michigan, Michigan Rhodes Scholars Program that is mostly about relationships with the government, Michigan State Government and visiting factories and things like this, but couldn't there be one where faculty and staff and others go on a road trip across Michigan to actually reach out to communities where higher education is looked at something that that well, students, I mean, kids get brainwashed that they don't want their kids to go there and things like this. Couldn't there be an outreach that that drives home what we bring to the table and how that's actually beneficial for everyone? Yeah, well a really nice question to end on in terms of how could we be thinking about outreach to the state. So certainly, you know, one version would be something like the Michigan Rhodes Scholarship thinking about community outreach. I will say one of the things we think is true if we're trying to reach students, and think about students coming to the University of Michigan, our best ambassadors, students. I mean, I can say whatever I want about the University of Michigan, if a student a current student, or a recent alum says it is so much more powerful and believable. And so we've been thinking a lot about that. I mean, one example. I'll give two examples. One is Intend to Attend. So this is a program that we have launched within the last year, which is designed it's outreach to eighth graders through 12th graders, to help students get ready for college, if that's what they want to do. And we very explicitly say for college, if they come to U of M great, but if they go anywhere, community colleges, anywhere in the state, anywhere across the country, we don't care. It's part of our public mission. Let's prepare more students to be ready for college. And so we're using online resources and student ambassadors from the areas of Michigan where we're doing outreach so that they can tell us how to do good outreach. Because what we think is good outreach and what is good outreach to students are often we being like me, are often not the same thing. I think this is also where the work we're doing with transfer students around community colleges is also really powerful. So our team and Undergrad Ed is now working to expand our Mellon bridges, transfer the humanities project all community colleges in the state so that we have relationships at every community college where the message is so clearly, we want your students here. We have looked at our policies to make it feasible and easier for students to be here. And that we have the infrastructure here to support students and that they succeed here. So those are just a couple of examples of ways we're trying to think about our role as a public university in the state of Michigan as well as in the country. So we have, and I have watched, what I get to see from this perch is that food has been brought in. So we hope that you will stay we have got food and drink and it is really I still don't take for granted that we're all together in person. So I hope you will enjoy each other's company and I'm delighted to talk more with all of you one on one or in small groups. So enjoy the rest of your Wednesday afternoon. [Applause]